Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,373   Online: 1177

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

From Polaroid: SX-70 Manipulation Issues

Found this today while browsing Polaroid's Creative section:

"It has recently been brought to our attention that, due to a change in manufacturing process, current supplies of Time-Zero film no longer have the ability to be "manipulated" for Creative purposes. This is an unintended - and unanticipated - consequence of a process change. We understand the passion that the artistic community has for the Creative Uses technique, and want to assure you that we are taking this situation very seriously.

We are currently working on possible solutions, though we cannot promise a replacement product. We are very sorry for this situation, and again, are treating it with the utmost urgency. We will post further updates on this site as they become available. If you have further questions, please call our Technical Assistance group @ 1.800.225.1618."

Here's the link.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Normally I'd say "how sad"...but what I'm really thinking is "how stupid" of them to change the manufacturing process on a film without testing all of its applications. Some product manager's head ought to be rolling about now and if not, then Polaroid deserves the financial hits it's been getting. The next thing they'll be telling us is that we won't be able to do image transfers and emulsion lifts with Type 59 film. Or with our luck, the Time Zero film product manager will get transferred to the Type 59 film product...

I'm depressed...

Addendum - I just sent an email to Polaroid via their "Ask Polaroid" part of their website (support section) and would suggest you do so as well if you are concerned about their products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    good thing I read this, I was watching a sx-70 outfit that ends in 2 hours. No way will I go for something that has no film to do what I wanted to do. OH well, I can admire the ones Sharon has created.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I couldn't find a date for this posting, please see if this a current issue. It could have been up since the late 90's and never taken down.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    I couldn't find a date for this posting, please see if this a current issue. It could have been up since the late 90's and never taken down.
    Actually, Ann was trying to teach her class SX70 manipulations and was having problems with the film. I'm wondering if this is the same thing...Ann????

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    I think its very recent Jeremy. I was looking for their SX-70 Manipulation article yesterday and couldn't find it. Then today, this notice was posted at the top of the article list.
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is crazy! Can't quite figure out what possessed them to 'change' a formula after all these years!

Just FYI...this is the email my husband received on May 17th. He (hubby) is an artist as well as a photographer. His work was featured in the artists section on Polaroid's site for the SX-70 images. Polaroid's unexpected "change" doesn't make much sense:

We are contacting you today because we have your name in our customer database as being a user of our SX-70 Time Zero Film, specifically for artistic purposes. In addition, your SX-70 portfolio is showcased in Polaroid’s creative gallery at www.polaroid.com. Because you have been such a valued customer, we wanted to inform you of a technical problem that we have just uncovered with our Time Zero product. Due to a change in manufacturing process, current supplies of Time Zero film no longer have the ability to be "manipulated" for Creative purposes. This is an unintended and unanticipated consequence of a process change.

We understand the passion that the artistic community has for this Creative Uses technique and want to assure you that we are taking this situation very seriously. We are currently working on possible solutions, though we cannot promise a replacement product. We are sorry for this situation and again, are treating it with the utmost urgency and would expect to have some preliminary news in several days. We will post further updates on our web site as they become available.

Based on the current situation, we would also like to inform you that we will be removing all informational and instructional material on SX-70 Manipulation from our web site including all artist’s portfolios. We regret having to make this decision but we feel that we cannot promote this Creative Use of Time Zero film until we have a solution for the problem we are currently facing. If you have further questions, please call our Technical Assistance Support line at 800-225-1618.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just to let you know, the batch with the 12/2005 date on it seems to work (just bought a box). I think (operative word "think") that the batch dated 02/2006 is also good and I'll test a pack tomorrow. I got confirmation from Samy's in LA that the newer batches will not manipulate. So sad.

S

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, at least they are being up front about it. I'm not going to read in marketing conspiracy into this; there's no evidence to support that. Having been an engineer for nearly thirty years, I can say that these unintended changes do happen. Someone comes up with an idea for "improving" the process. Almost always, that means a lowering of production costs. That will get the executives ear, and despite any objections, win approval.

The current production lot of Kodak's Azo paper changed significantly from the previous run. However, Kodak invites Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee to the factory to test the paper. This ensures the artistic community is informed at the getgo of changes in the paper's characteristics.

It would have been nice if Polaroid would have done the same thing with Time-Zero. But that sort of thing is not on the typical financial wiz's agenda.
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo
    Just to let you know, the batch with the 12/2005 date on it seems to work (just bought a box). I think (operative word "think") that the batch dated 02/2006 is also good and I'll test a pack tomorrow. I got confirmation from Samy's in LA that the newer batches will not manipulate. So sad.

S
    I just checked my stock and it expires 03/06. It seemed to work fine but I have no previous experience to compare it to. Mine came from B&H a week ago.
    My Photography Blog

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin