Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,186   Online: 668

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Smoother paper for cyanotype?

I've been making cyanotypes (Formulary's "Traditional Cyanotype" kit) on the cheapest fiber-reinforced watercolor paper I could find in a suitable size for low waste -- my budget won't stand paying a couple dollars a sheet for the paper to support this very economical process. Overall I've been pleased (though I've noted that the latest prints, after 10 months away, have a problem with the pigment washing off during development, which I'm working on), but when making small prints (my current largest format is 9x12 cm), I find the details from the negatives are obscured by the rather large, aggressive cold press texture of the paper.

What I'd like is to find a non-alkaline, fiber reinforced watercolor paper with a smoother surface, perhaps along the lines of sketch paper or even laser printer stock, that's within my budget. Non-alkaline, because alkaline conditions cause permanent fading of cyanotype. Fiber reinforced so I won't wind up with a mass of wrinkles after developing and drying the print (even if I can sensitize it and keep it flat enough to go into the printing frame). And if I can't afford it, it's no good to me.

Any suggestions? Ideally, it should also be a brand that won't require purchase from a big-city art supply store, since I live in a community of about a quarter million people over a 35 mile area, and the nearest larger cities are an hour's drive (twelve dollars worth of gasoline, near enough, for the round trip -- very limited opportunities at this time).

Alternately, a method of drying cyanotypes made on non-reinforced papers would let me use the hot-pressed papers I've seen (which aren't reinforced, apparently intended to be mounted before painting, as we did when I was in high school), or even sketch papers and similar non-watercolor stocks...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls

What I'd like is to find a non-alkaline, fiber reinforced watercolor paper with a smoother surface, ..
    Arches Platine! About $4.70 per sheet at Daniel Smith. You will love it.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Canson sketch pad. Costs about $20 for a 100 sheet block, use the back side of the paper for cyanotype and van Dyke. The front is too "hard".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, the Canson sketch pad is close to my budget range (nice if it came in small increments, but I can live with $20). I've never found a local source for Platine (even in Seattle, when I lived there), and I don't want to pay that kind of money in any case (though I presume those are pretty large sheets); certainly not without examining the paper! Yes, I know, everyone says it works well for almost all alt processes -- but it doesn't fit my budget at all well; for that kind of money I could buy foam-core, which will stay nice and flat and has an almost-glossy surface.

Ole, is the Canson fiber reinforced, or otherwise treated so it dries reasonably flat after getting wet? Or am I worrying too much about that (envisioning the mess that results if ordinary notebook or writing paper gets wet)?
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    Ole, is the Canson fiber reinforced, or otherwise treated so it dries reasonably flat after getting wet? Or am I worrying too much about that (envisioning the mess that results if ordinary notebook or writing paper gets wet)?
    Donald, I've had no problems with it at all, even when tea-toning for a couple of hours (OK, I fell asleep. Anyone would with a cat on his lap).

I can send you a sample?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I know this thread is old, but I just got some stunning results from Strathmore Bristol paper the Formulary traditional cyanotype chemistry, double coated. This is a very smooth surfaced paper that produces great details and tonal range and holds up well to washing without getting rough afterwards. I have no idea what the pH is for certain, but I found one reference to it being around 6.x. I can send you an example print that I did the other day (4x5) and a few sheets if you want to try it out.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've just found the Strathmore Bristol as well -- in fact, after buying a pad of it, I also found it listed as good for VDB and cyanotype in Jan Arnow's Handbook of Alternative Processes.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's good to hear! I was concerned at first because I hadn't seen anyone else using it, but I really like the results and I didn't want to pay $40 for a block of Arches hot press. Thanks for the note - I'll have to give it a shot with VDB as well.

- Randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Although it is not the only paper I use, I commonly print VDB, cyanotype, salt and platinum/palladium prints on 100%cotton stationery. It clears beautifully, and rather quickly.

It is fragile, but if handled carefully does an excellent job. Usual cost is about $8 for a box of 50 sheets.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin