Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,641   Online: 803

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Thanks for that Don, thought I had missed something there..would you mind elaborating on the LFO or SFO in place of FAO? What is the difference, reason for using (a link to the info would work)

Apology's to the original post, did not mean to take this somewhere else.
    First let me say that FAO is normally listed as AFO and I use that often, it's the LFO that I rarely use. The SFO can give warmer tones. The best reference I can give you is Sullivan and Weese's book "The New Platinum Print". It has a lot of excellent information, although some of it I have found is not correct (not many errors though.) It's well worth buying.

But the best way to learn about Zia's is just to do it. After a while you will start printing from your gut and not by the numbers. Experiment!

Also have a properly exposed and developed negative is the first important thing. I'm afraid some of the problems begining Ziatype printers have are due to poor negatives; which usually means overexposed and underdeveloped. Also for my money TMAX 400 developed in pyro can't be beat. You can make dual purpose negatives very easily with this film.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those at Apis, Kevin Sullivan did a demo on ziatypes in the main vendors hall of the convention center. I was totally blown away with how easy he did everything. He mixed his chems with dropper bottles in a small cut off half of a plastic water bottle. Then using a sponge brush coated the paper right there under the overhead lights. He passed the paper around for us to feel it cool on the back to indicate the moi8sture was wicking away, but the surface of the paper where he coated it was dry to the touch. He placed the neg on top, put it in a printing frame, then popped it in the UV light source box. After approximately 5 minutes he was satisfied then rinsed the resulting paper in water right there. It was perfect. OK, I have to learn this process. Even I can get a good coat under diffuse room light.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Then using a sponge brush coated the paper right there under the overhead lights.
    Promise us that you won't use a sponge brush

Kevin is a nice guy and loves to play to a crowd. Did he talk about his book on digital negatives?

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Check out "The New Platinum Print" by Sullivan and Weese for Ziatype information.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin