Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,593   Online: 866

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to say, I was a bit confused as well, your orginal question delt with the IR focus beam and not the IR counter in the camera, which is what everyone answered you about, if you were asking about the frame counter IR beam, it sure would have clearer if that is what you had said.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, but I had been lead to understand that the 2 were the same. That if your camera had the IR to assist with AF, then it also used it in a way that would interfere with HIE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IR focussing assist and IR counting of sprocket holes are not the same thing. IR counting of sprocket holes will cause problems because it shines the IR on to the film edge: only a little in some cameras, a lot in others. From what I have read, the amount of fogging varies even between individual cameras of the same make and model. IR focus assist does not shine IR light on the film, it shines it on the subject, so will not be a problem.

Happy shooting, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have not heard anything about the Pentax AF line and fogging of film - I think the best thing to do would be to put a roll through the camera and find out. The IR Focus Assist beam turns OFF when you make the exposure, so it will never fog the film. I would be suspicious of your Pentax PZ1P because it is an older camera, and if it uses IR for frame counting, the beam may be stronger (it seems that most manufacturers have cottoned on to the idea that people want to shoot IR with their cameras, so they've reduced the intensity of the IR frame counting beam). I have a 1st generation XPAN, and despite concerns about the IR frame counter, I have had no fogging that ever intruded into the image area on the film, just a little fog between the sprocket holes. The older Canon AF SLRs had this problem in spades, but I believe it has improved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin