Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,699   Online: 1037

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In addtion to Bob's recommendation about not using trays, but drums; this paper has to be processed in the dark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Jobo roller drums are sufficient. Lots of people on this site using them.
    Could anyone recommend a model/type/number of these drums? We've never worked with them before and are pretty much rookies when it comes to this. It should be big enough for 8x10" paper/sheets. Thanks, mf-n!

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi mf-n

i have used kodak single wieght "poly max fine art" as well as the same paper before it was called "fine art" i think it is called poly fiber both single and double weight.
    i have found that if you have a contrasty paepr negative, it won't print well, compared to a thin/soft paper negative. it'll look like a good negative, though. i have a bunch of film holders, none are better than others - any will work well.

i too started making paper negatives to save money. it works well for some subjects and lighting conditions, but others not so much. usually in flat lighting, and not very contrasty situations paper negatives are great but if you are in bright sun, extreme shadows and sunlight, you will have a little more trouble, unless you use something like a multi-grade filter to reduce the contrast ( and double + your exposure time ).
    good luck with your project

-john

Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    Hi John,

that sounds pretty good. Thanks for your advice. Suppose you underexpose the neg in order to control contrast later when printing through the paper? What film holder gives you the best flatness of the paper? What paper has given you the most pleasing results till so far?

I guess what we're looking for is a way to get bigger negatives (like 8x10) but without the entailing costs. Holland is not a country with many large or ultra large format photographers. Hardly anyone shoots 8x10, sheet film is very very expensive, choice of film is limited if at all available and we need to send the negs somewhere to get them developed. We can't have a real dark room w/enlarger as we have only temporary housing and we never know when we need to move. Not something that is workable for our situation at the moment. That's why we hoped the paper negs route would be a viable option. It's exciting to hear it may be.

Cheers, mf-n

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks John for sharing these practical tips. I bet they'll be very useful once we manage to lay our hands on an 8x10 for a reasonable price. We've got one lens ready for it already.

We searched all on-line shops in Holland and none of them sell 8x10" film. Biggest size available is 4x5". Closest place I found something was in Germany, but the prices are way too high for us right now.

Maybe one day, when all our hard work starts paying off.... either that or win the lottery.

Cheers, mf-n

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I gave it a try as a response to someone who said it couldn't be done (which baffled me). It was an interesting experiment for me, but not something I wanted to pursue. Mostly cutting the paper to fit was a real pain and I often found that the paper was enough thicker than the standard negatives to cause binding problems in the holder.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    We searched all on-line shops in Holland and none of them sell 8x10" film. Biggest size available is 4x5". Closest place I found something was in Germany, but the prices are way too high for us right now.

Maybe one day, when all our hard work starts paying off.... either that or win the lottery.

Cheers, mf-n
    Have you looked into ordering from fotoimpex.de or jandcphotography.com? They are selling good film at very reasonable prices. Theoretically one should order from fotoimpex in Europe, but I gather that with the VAT some Europeans find it cheaper to order the same film from J&C, even though it's been shipped from Europe to the US and back. I recommend Efke PL100 and Classic 400 (Forte).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You devil. Don't tempt us. The price is indeed reasonable, it's our wallet that isn't at the moment. :rolleyes:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin