Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,145   Online: 889

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Palladio was great: and if it cost more money, it sure cost a lot less time.

don

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would certainly buy some... while I enjoy coating my own, having it ready to go would be a huge convenience.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    I get great results with coating my own paper so it would have to be cheaper than I can do it--otherwise no.

If it was more expensive I would still buy a box or two to try it out, though.
    I also used Palladio when I first started pt/pd printing in 1990. Realize that when they stopped making it several years ago (for the reasons mentioned above) it cost $30 per 16x20 sheet. I can make a hand-coated palladium print that size on a nice paper like Arches Platine for about $7. Yes, I buy my materials in bulk to reduce cost, but that's common practice among the people who print alot.

Sura once told me that in their hey-day they had one client who was responsible for something like 30% of their sales(!) And I believe he passed away...

My point is there may be many people who would "give it a try" if pre-coated paper was available again, I think many of those would either go back to what they were doing before or move on to hand-coating. There is alot more how-to information available in print and on the web and lots more workshops available these days. Platinum printing is not rocket science and money spent learning the process will more than pay for itself quickly compared to buying pre-coated material at those prices (likely higher in today's dollars).

I'm skeptical that such a venture would be profitable. It seems to me if Palladio couldn't survive, I doubt a new company could do it either. They were great folks and made a great product and they KNEW what they were doing.

Kerik
    www.kerik.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Me? I probably would not use it, but I'd buy a whole lot of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    I'm skeptical that such a venture would be profitable. It seems to me if Palladio couldn't survive, I doubt a new company could do it either. They were great folks and made a great product and they KNEW what they were doing.

Kerik
    www.kerik.com
    Hard to say. B&S have started making and selling carbon tissue and its about $4.25 a square foot. You can make your own for a fraction of that, but its a lot more work.

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's a lot cheaper in general to mix your own B&W chemistry too, and it's fairly easy, but most people don't do it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I guess I would be in the "love to try it" group, because it would be the quickest eaiest introduction for me. So I wold buy it, yes. If I liked it though I would soon learn to coat my own, as I hope to do someday anyway. I certainly couldnt afford to pay those retail prices regularly.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Platinum printing is VERY expensive as it is, so I asume a premade platinum paper would cost even more. If somehow, someone could make it for a good price and it be consistant...I would gladly give up coating my own paper!

Im sure the problem with paper stock could easily be resolved today. There is MANY fine papers in the art world that could be used for Alt. Processes.

Lets face it, most americans are L-A-Z-Y (now im not saying LF photographers!), but I am sure many people would use a platinum paper, even if it cost more.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If the cost would be $36/16x20 sheet against $7 for handcoating, you've got to wonder why some handcoaters don't just offer to coat paper for people who want to try it. It could be more profitable, alas, than print sales.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McPhotoX
    Platinum printing is VERY expensive as it is,
    I'm sorry, but IME this is simply not true. Once you're into doing this type of work on a regular basis, the per-print cost of materials goes way down compared to the cost of buying the 25 ml bottles of metal solutions one at a time.

Im sure the problem with paper stock could easily be resolved today. There is MANY fine papers in the art world that could be used for Alt. Processes.
    Again, I would disagree. Using them for alt-processes on a one-off print basis is very different than a paper used to create a commercial product. Palladio's problems started when the mill that had been making their paper was bought out by a much larger company and they were unwilling to go to the extremes necessary to produce perfectly clean paper (from a pt/pd printing point of view) for such a relatively small client. And Palladio tried several different paper mills before throwing in the towell. They did not go down without a fight. Palladio guaranteed their paper to be free from defects and would replace any of thier coated paper found to have black spots or other imperections. Those of us who do alot of alt-proces work can deal with the impurities that are inherent to most art papers that are on the market on a per-sheet, per-print basis. Either by working around these impurities or retouching them in the final print. Again, a very different approach than machine-coating a large roll of paper.

Lets face it, most americans are L-A-Z-Y (now im not saying LF photographers!), but I am sure many people would use a platinum paper, even if it cost more.
    And most americans are C-H-E-A-P. Or if they are working artists they are P-O-O-R. Can you really afford to pay $30 per sheet of 16x20 for your printing medium on a day-in and day-out basis? I can't!

And regarding printers selling their hand-coated paper, there's a shelf-life issue. Palladio overcame this I think both with their sealed packaging and I suspect something in the formulation of their sensitizer (a secret recipe). I always prefer to coat right before I print, but have printed on paper coated a day or two previously. After that, things start to go downhill.

I'm not trying to pee on the campfire here, just trying to shed a little reality on the situation. Hey, if Kentmere or someone else brings such a product to market, that would be GREAT. Don't hold your breath, however...

Plus, hand-coating is fun and easy! And very quick. Much different than making carbon tissue (which is why people are using the B&S product). I don't know much about carbon printing. Is there a shelf-life issue with prepared tissue?

Pt/Pd printing has the reputation of being expensive, time-consuming and difficult. None of which is true!

Kerik
    www.kerik.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin