Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,906   Posts: 1,555,860   Online: 885

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I agree with Kerik.......not that hard to learn to coat your own paper, and it is fun a bit theraputic....it those skinny test strips I detest.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    Hard to say. B&S have started making and selling carbon tissue and its about $4.25 a square foot. You can make your own for a fraction of that, but its a lot more work.

Steve
    That is true, but you must bear in mind a couple of important considerations. First, it is a hell of a lot easier to coat a paper with a Pt./Pd. sensitizer than it is to make high quality carbon tissue on an individual basis. But more importantly, Dick Sullivan got into making carbon tissue as a labor of love and it will be a long time before he recoups the investment with sales if he places any value at all on his time.

As Kerik said, hand-coating is fun, and quick, and not particulary expensive if you buy your Pt./Pd. materials in volume. But of course, it is also true as he said that many photographers are real cheap, so they buy the Pt./Pd. materials in small kits. And if you do that Pt./Pd. is indeed quite expensive.

Sandy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    It's a lot cheaper in general to mix your own B&W chemistry too, and it's fairly easy, but most people don't do it.
    Not really a fair comparisson. It's a different scale of cost. If you spend $2 or $20 on a quantity of developer that might be good for say 25 prints is much different than 25 prints at $7 vs. 25 prints at $30.

Kerik
    www.kerik.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Plus, hand-coating is fun and easy! And very quick. Much different than making carbon tissue (which is why people are using the B&S product). I don't know much about carbon printing. Is there a shelf-life issue with prepared tissue?

Kerik
    www.kerik.com
    Actually making carbon tissue is a lot of fun. But the variables are many and it is very difficult to learn how to make tissue on your own without first having seen someone else do it. This is one of the reasons the learning curve is rather steep.

Carbon tissue has a shelf life of about six months if stored at room temperature (72º F and 50-65% RH). If stored in a freezer it might last for decades.

Sandy

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Personally, I think Platinum printing IS expensive. I can only afford to buy what is needed in small portions. When I compair how much money it takes to make X amount of platinum prints, I can usually make 10 times that many silver prints for the same price.

Now, I am not a serious platinum printer thought, like many of you are. I print platinum for a change and something new to work with. Because I only print platinum once in awhile...having a manufactured paper would be nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Pt/Pd printing has the reputation of being expensive, time-consuming and difficult. None of which is true!

Kerik
    www.kerik.com
    Kerik, what are you doing?!? Don't let the cat out of the bag!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would jump right in the middle if it were made available. AZO is expensive to me, if the pt/pd paper was in the same general ball park cost wise, I believe a lot of folks would be interested. I dislike no I hate mixing chemicals and coating things. I will avoid doing so even if it means I can no longer print my negatives. ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Actually making carbon tissue is a lot of fun. But the variables are many and it is very difficult to learn how to make tissue on your own without first having seen someone else do it. This is one of the reasons the learning curve is rather steep.

Carbon tissue has a shelf life of about six months if stored at room temperature (72º F and 50-65% RH). If stored in a freezer it might last for decades.

Sandy

I agree, making the tissue was a lot of fun, but I certainly wouldn't have liked to try it with Sandy there the first time.

BTW, Sandy, I'm headed back over to the Formulary the last week of August (to fix their network and train them on thier new website before it goes live). I'll also be working on doing some more carbon (and Sharon wants to try it). Is there any testing that you would like me to try that might help you out next year (we're gonna make sure that class runs again)? I bought another light intregrator that I going to leave over there. I also was able to pickup a NUARC FT40V3UP Platemaker for very cheap to go along the Nuarc I won when we were in Montana. I'm going to try them both to see which one I like and the other will go up for sell. Anyone looking for a UV light/intergrator/vaccum table. I'm going to have one available soon. Just perfect for all your alt process needs!
    Last edited by magic823; 07-27-2005 at 12:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would try Palladio or similar if it were available, but I can't promise I would be a regular customer. I would buy some, try some, just to see if it was for me. Then I would start worrying about hand coating. It would be nice to have a reliable pre-made paper to eliminate that source of error on the first attempts.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by McPhotoX
    Personally, I think Platinum printing IS expensive. I can only afford to buy what is needed in small portions. When I compair how much money it takes to make X amount of platinum prints, I can usually make 10 times that many silver prints for the same price.

Now, I am not a serious platinum printer thought, like many of you are. I print platinum for a change and something new to work with. Because I only print platinum once in awhile...having a manufactured paper would be nice.
    Dead horse time... Even at small-quantity prices, one can make an 8x10 pt/pd print for about $3.50. I suppose if you're printing on a silver paper that is 35 cents per sheet (does that even exist anymore?), then what you say is true. But, there's another factor here. In general, I suspect it takes several more sheets of silver paper to get to the final print than it does with pt/pd. Because it has a more linear response, there is much less dodging and burning and micro-adustments in platinum printing than in silver printing. At least that's my experience and I repeatedly get the same feedback from workshop students. They often find that negs that were very difficult to print well in silver print effortlessly in platinum (and other alt-processes with similar linear response). So, if you look at the cost of getting to the final print, even higher-priced platinum printing supplies are comparable in cost to cheap silver paper. And typically you will spend less time getting to that final print in pt/pd than silver.

Sorry Jeremy, am I letting too many secrets out of the bag, here? :-)

Kerik
    www.kerik.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin