Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,184   Online: 703

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

How many people would be interested in a "Palladio" type paper?

I came acrost a box of Palladio Platinum paper, and even thought it was older then me...It printed wonderfully! Its a shame that they stopped making this stuff. I know alot of people like coating their own papers, but how many people would be interested in a platinum paper? Do you think if a company made it, enought people would purchase it for printing? AZO is a special paper that can only be used for contact printing...and it managed to stay alive. I would think a platinum paper would too.

We should try to get a company to make a platinum paper!

If anyone has any old packs or boxes of Palladio paper, please contact me ASAP!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If it existed, I'd want to try it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm gearing up mentally & equipment-wise for pt/pl; but think I'd make the leap much quicker if there were still a palladio paper. Also consistency would be easier. There are of course alot of alternative processes that could benefit from a commercial supplier of papers as exhisted before.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I used Palladio paper several years back and I have a print of Rob Steinberg's on it too. Wonderful stuff that was. I'd buy in a minute if it were still around. Unfortunately, there were several difficulties in the production of the paper that forced the Steinbergs out of the business of offering it for sale. What a shame.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd definitely try it out & agree that there is probably a decent market for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier
    I used Palladio paper several years back and I have a print of Rob Steinberg's on it too. Wonderful stuff that was. I'd buy in a minute if it were still around. Unfortunately, there were several difficulties in the production of the paper that forced the Steinbergs out of the business of offering it for sale. What a shame.
    What were the difficulties?

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    What were the difficulties?

Steve
    The problem was the paper stock. They had several mills produce paper for them but the quality control was lacking. The last time I talked with Sura she told me black specks were showing up only after the print was developed. In previous runs of paper they could cull the bad sheets before shipping to customers but when the black specks showed up after development they had a real problem. They could never get a mill to produce a paper good enough to coat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That was how I was introduced to Pt/Pd printing. Wonderful stuff. Now, with digital negatives, having palladio paper would just be absolute alternative process nirvana. Yes, the story was the paper stock. Thin, yet with incredible wet strength. Once their main supplier was bought out, there was no other source that could make the stock.

It is little wonder than Fredrick Evans gave up photography after commercial platinum paper was discontinued.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get great results with coating my own paper so it would have to be cheaper than I can do it--otherwise no.

If it was more expensive I would still buy a box or two to try it out, though.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would probably try it.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin