Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,033   Online: 794

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Chris, Also...read the article by Michael Smith on the website link above.

If your ever interested in doing a print exchange for one of my platinum or silver prints, let me know.

Ryan McIntosh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To each his/her own, of course. Do what makes you happy. There's no definitive right and wrong on this. But, I never dry mount pt/pd prints. A couple reasons for this. One is I like to be able to easily remove the artwork from the support (mat). Makes it much easier if you need to transport alot of prints and don't want to lug 50 lbs of matboard. But it's also an aesthetic choice for me. I like to see some evidence of the hand-made, even if it's hidden under the mat (I rarely show brush strokes in the window). And, most papers that are commonly used for pt/pd stay flat easily without having to glue them down. Some of the thinner papers and vellums can get a little wavy with temp and humidity changes. I've gotten around this with vellums by dry-mounting the vellum to a heavier sheet of paper like Arches of Fabriano or Stonehenge, trimming down to the size of the vellum, then corner mounting that to the mat board. This effectively creates a 140 lb vellum with a super-smooth surface, and it's still easily removed from the support.

Just another point of view. Definitely do whatever you prefer. No one will ever care as much about your work or how you do it as you do.

Best,
    Kerik
    www.kerik.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Some of the thinner papers and vellums can get a little wavy with temp and humidity changes. I've gotten around this with vellums by dry-mounting the vellum to a heavier sheet of paper like Arches of Fabriano or Stonehenge, trimming down to the size of the vellum, then corner mounting that to the mat board. This effectively creates a 140 lb vellum with a super-smooth surface, and it's still easily removed from the support.

Just another point of view. Definitely do whatever you prefer. No one will ever care as much about your work or how you do it as you do.

Best,
    Kerik
    www.kerik.com
    I like Kerik's solution of dry mounting vellum to a heaver sheet of paper. Prints on these papers are otherwise very fragile and mounting to a heavier paper will almost certainly give them greater archival stability.

A fair amount of my carbon images are placed on a final suppor that is a single weight photographic paper. I dry mount the prints to a heavier art paper with full confidence that they will have a better chance of surviving in this configuration than if left just on the single weight paper, which is like vellum quite fragile.

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I ended up using my drymount press to flatten the prints and archival corner mounts to mount the prints... It worked very well... Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Ryan, I definitely interested in a print exchange! I'll email you tonight to discuss....

Thanks -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin