Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,584   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

mounting platinum prints

I am wondering about mounting platinum prints? I do drymount all of my FB silver gelatin work and wouldn’t have it any other way. I use Techmount TM4 Drymount Tissue. It is acid free, buffered and removable (and I have removed prints after mounting. Can Platinum prints take the heat from drymounting, 75°C - 90°C range? The prints are small 4x5 so they could probably get away with just flattening (again in the heated press?) and hinge mounting. But I do prefer drymounting as the humidity around here will likely cause them to ripple if they are not. Regards - Chris

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fraser
    Can Platinum prints take the heat from drymounting, 75°C - 90°C range?... ...But I do prefer drymounting as the humidity around here will likely cause them to ripple if they are not. Regards - Chris
    Can they take the heat? Sure... Assuming they're made on paper.

As for your preference, It's your work... go for it. Traditionally, I think many people don't mount them, but to each his own...

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    in my limited experience I find that the paper used for pt/pd printing does not suffer rippling & waving from humidity like silver gelatin papers do. It stays pretty flat. I understand that hinge mounting is the way to go with pt/pd prints.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Plat print

Press the print at around 200 degrees. No need to mount Platinum-Matt is right it will stay flat with the hinge.
    Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have always used hinges made with a dimensionally stable substrate and pH neutral adhesive. Scotch magic mending tape! I usually have a significan border around the image, so those of you out there having an archival conniption fit can rest easy.

Learned this from Rob Steinberg way back when I first started platinum printing.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Just yesterday, I was drymounting a few of my platinum prints. There is not many people who drymount platinums, but I took a workshop from Kim Weston (grandson of Edward Weston) and he drymounts his prints. He likes to trim the print like you would a normal silver print. By doing this, you can cut an overmat window AROUND the prints edge, instead of the window going into the image. I think when a print has a 1/4"-1/2" border around it, it looks very nice.

I also drymount my platinums because then you dont have to worry of your print ever becoming separated from the overmat which has your signature. Sure, I sign the print also...but I prefer to sign the mount between the prints edge and the window mat.

I drymount them for about 2 minutes, at 200degrees.

The only think you have to be careful of is when you trim the print, the edges of the print are easily chipped. Also keep a peice of buffered tissue over the print surface when it is not framed.

Ryan McIntosh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    McPhotoX – Are you saying Kim trims the print to the edge of the image, removing any Platinum border (resulting from puddle pushing or brushing)? The cuts the mat so it is ¼” away from the edge of the print?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Chris,

Exactly. When I took a nude/platinum workshop from him last year, that is how they were presented. I own a few of his prints also, and they are presented in this manor as well.

I was still learning how to platinum print, so I asked him if it is proper to mat around the brushmarks. I dont remember his exact works, but he said that the brush marks are just part of the process and not really part of the image, and that they look messy and should be removed.

With my personal photography, I drymount all prints, and leave a 1/2" border around the prints edge. It makes for a nice window and holds your eye inside the image. It also gives a place to sign, rather then the overmatt which is completly separate from the actual photograph! I also dont like to window mat INTO the image, because sometimes the presure of being in a frame have left an indent or line in the print surface.

Give it a try with one of your platinum prints and see how you like it!

Ryan McIntosh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Interesting… I will likely give this method a try this weekend and I think it will look quite nice. I am however a fan of the platinum border as I feel it adds to the atmosphere to the image (when done correctly). My biggest concern with trimming up to the edge of the image is that (as with silver gelatin) it is good practice to leave a border beyond the image for archival purposes. Thus allowing the edge to be trimmed, without cutting into the image, in the event it were ever damaged or degraded from pollutants. It also slows pollutants from getting to the image (from the edge). Do you ever have a problem with messing looking prints from a not so perfect trim or the small pieces of drymount tissue pulling out? Regards - Chris

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Chris, I mount all my prints on Alpharag Artcare board, so I have no worries about any degrading of the image over time. Take a look at http://www.superiorarchivalmats.com/ for more information and a test done with Alpharag board. I think you will find it quite interesting.

I have a several Adams and Westons prints that date back to the 30's, and they are drymounted in this manor as well. The prints mounted on quality, acidfree, archival board...are still in perfect condition. However, one of my Weston print that is drymounted on non-archival board has started to "silver" around the edges of the print, giving the surface a metallic looking finish.

I was told by photographer Randy Efros (former Brett Weston assistant) that the paper that I platinum print is made on...will degrade BEFORE the platinum coating! I have never seen a platinum print change colors, fade, silver ect. Platinum prints are one of the most archival prints made!

Anyways, I tack the drymount tissue to the back of the print BEFORE trimming it, so I have never had a problem of tissue showing. Just make sure you use quality mount board (preferably AlphaRag Artcare board). The only problem that I can think of with drymount a platinum print, is that the paper is VERY thick and when someone is handling the print they must be careful not to catch their fingernail on the prints edge.

Ryan McIntosh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin