Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,911   Online: 845

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

I want MORE water marks???Do-able?

Hi,
    So here is my wierd request.
    I want to get more water marks on my film. Why you ask.
    Well I do these negative solarizing things. Where you partially devo film. then hang it up, flash it with light, reroll it onto a reel and finish the devo.
    the wierd thing about it is where water has beaded up on the emulsion you get an image of the drop. just an outline really. But it is kinda neat. I am trying to figure out how I can get more drops of water on the film, without grossly effecting the PH of the water, or actually harming the film.
    Is this too wierd?
    yeah?

Here is a sample of the effect I speak of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails crystal31.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dunno but adding a little glycerine (from the drugstore, like you use to make homemade bubbles) might do the trick? Not sure of what ill chemical reactions this may cause, but I'd think a rinse, glrcerine, flash, rinse and carry-on may be safe.
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah the thing with soap is that I think I would end up with bubbles, not drops. I think what I need is something that cuts the surface tension of the water...so instead of sheeting off it drops...maybe instead of hanging vertically I should try to hang the film horizontal. that could keep drops in place? maybe?
    heheh it is a wierd project.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It strikes me that surface tension is what you WANT ...like, lots of it, so that the water separates into as many discrete droplets as possible instead of blending into a uniform sheet covering everything. But what do I know?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Makes sense...
    next question...how do I do that?
    I am totally down to try a few things...
    It is a time consuming process but I like the randomness of the results.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If I were trying what you describe, I would rinse the film in tap water after partial development to eliminate any possible reduction of surfact tension brought on by the residual developer.

Next I would mist the film with an atomizer with tap water in an attempt to create droplets. My thinking is that simple immersion in water would cause more of a sheeting action then spraying the film with small droplets.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    hmmmm.
    I will give that a try.
    I am not sure how to aim it...as I need to do this in total darkness...
    But it will be an attempt.
    thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    (Haven't been on in a while... real life gets in the way of online fun sometimes) But what about some kind of baby oil or something to help create the rounded drops you want?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to pay the postage I will send you a jug of water directly from Great Salt Lake, our local hard water or from a nearby sulfurous hot spring. Really get water marks from Great Salt Lake water with all the minerals in it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin