Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,207   Online: 1173

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ron, you're doing nonesense again. It's obvious that you don't keep up with the technology or ignoring all the updates since you retired, and making up stories to satisfy your desire of being the smartest guy in online discussion forums. And you're also distorting facts just to stubbornly maintain your contention "valid." But that is hugely misleading people who are trying to learn how to make silver gelatin emulsions.

You are way off about phthalated (or acylated in general) gelatins. Phthalated and trimellitiated gelatins are used in making tabular grain emulsions as disclosed in Japanese unexamined patent applications Heisei 8-82883 and 10-148897. I am sure that KRL people read Japanese patents so they must be aware of this technology but obviously all of these happened after you retired.

I could go on for other issues with specific info and necessary details, but there's really no point in doing this, since you'll come back like "you're wrong," "there are better ways to do this," "Kodak figured all that out decades ago," and so on. Let's cut all that crap. You often go too far to speak highly of Kodak and create unfounded stories to give bad images to its competitors, but your postings are not doing any good to photography or Kodak at all. It's only hurting your credibility.

Your emulsion work doesn't bother me at all. In fact, based on what I heard from someone, I don't even think you've gone as far as you have claimed. But your nonesense bothers me and other people (I get direct emails about this thread and other posts by Ron Mowrey and "Photo Engineer."). I seriously suggest that you don't write about things you really don't know. Also if you don't want to admit and correct your mistakes when ones are found, you shouldn't be writing anything at all. Once written, anything has some chance of having it later found to be wrong.

Ok, this is my last post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    Ryuji, oxidized gelatin yes, PA gelatin not much at all. It prevents some operations that requre acid - base shifts during the make. If used, it is at low conversion levels to prevent acid - base shift related problems.

The measure of pX or pAg is not accurate enough for this type of work. Iodide is usually run in slaved to silver and bromide is run in control with proper control equipment and proper measuring devices with appropriate electrodes. Somtimes other methods are used to control halide addition.

If your emulsion is a T-grain, I hope it avoids all current patents for both making technology and aspect ratio. Both are patented.

Yes, I am aware of the work of Maskasky, Daubendiek, Marchetti, Perry, Wey and Whiteley to name a few. I simply cannot discuss it in detail.

And, if my work does not bother you then why the continuation of this thread? Why start it at all? Why pick at my work? I feel that you are doing good work - albeit complex, and have no issues with what you are doing. I simply have different goals than you do, and know a lot that I cannot disclose and so walk a knife edge in my discourse here and in the work I do in my own darkroom.

I could write several paragraphs on measurment of pAg and variants, and several on mixing, but these are really off-limits. I could do the same for addition methodology, again it is off limits. I could discourse for hours on mathematical modeling of pAg with different halides, another off limit subject. How about emulsion scaling models. I know a lot about that as well. All of this is off limits as far as I'm concerned.

As for techniques, yes there are better emulsions but I choose to pick simple ones. Yes, there are a lot of ways to sensitize, and I have done most of them here or at Kodak. My raw and sensitized emulsions do very well. Out of the can the AgBrI has a raw speed of ISO 25. After sulfur sensitization and spectral sensitization I will probably get a lot more, but lose some to antifogging / stabilization, and addition of acutance dyes for sharpness. I hope for ISO 25 but may get as high as 100. That is my hope. I hope to do it with simple emulsions with no fancy equipment and no long making or sensitization steps.

I commend you for your diligent and good work. I hope that people are interested in it and I hope you can avoid patent infringement. I'm sure that there will be people interested in your work. I hope that perhaps some people will be interested in my work as well.

My comments above regarding your T-grain make were intended to show merely that there are many possible ways to do the same thing. T-grains are made at all major manufacturers plants and each manufacturer uses different methodology. I did not intend those comments to be taken as negative in any way. After all, if it works, it works.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ryuji, I don't think that there is any reason for us to argue. You can call me any time you want. I think we should be working together.

I would be delighted to help you with your work and I would be happy to accept your comments on mine.

You know how to reach me.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Really Ron... who in his right mind would want to work with such a pain in the grass as this!

But your politeness is superior to mine. I cannot sit by and let his insults go free.

Ryuji insultingly writes:

I seriously suggest that you don't write about things you really don't know. Also if you don't want to admit and correct your mistakes when ones are found, you shouldn't be writing anything at all. Once written, anything has some chance of having it later found to be wrong.

Hey Ryuji,
    I see you have changed your stance on use of rapid acting hardeners at the end of a make that you for years worked over with surficants and polymers to get everything perfected...

Goes to show how accurate your statement about having to watch what you say is!

Since you admit to following the patents of very recent dates, you have drawn the attention of everyone whos interested in this. I thought your intention was to make something for the little guy, the guy working on his kitchen table? The guys in the legal department must be salivating, Pavlow! Get this dog drooling out of here!

Ron I commend you and your ability to maintain civility and keep a straight face in the middle of all this.

I belive what we are seeing is an incurable case of "Teacheritus"

Don't waste your time dealing with his insults. They reflect ONLY his personality and NOTHING else.

I make VERY good emulsions myself, but I am wise enough to know that everyone can have good ideas and I am not too proud to learn from anyone.

So far however, Ryuji has had nothing of value to offer, in my opinion (and I HAVE seen some of his emulsions).

You on the otherhand do, and I wholeheartedly encourage you to write!

The content value of your writing far exceeds that of Ryuji's (naturally!) despite the fact that Ryuji SOUNDS more authoritative... We both know it is slight of hand, pure illusion!

Some people talk of not buying KODAK film products anymore out of anger for KODAKs decision to abandon traditional materials, well,
    I for one would not support Ryuji NO MATTER HOW GOOD HIS EMULSION BECOMES...

If I could not produce good emulsions myself, I would support your work.

Otherwise, I would learn to draw! Or go dig....

Ray Rogers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to say, having read the entire thread, I believe and stand by Photo Engineer.

Graham.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin