Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,282   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Availability of different Liquid Emulsions.

I need to know if there are other liquid emulsions available than Liquid Light and what if any are the differences between them all. I have not used any at this point. I need to make a cost analysis and consider any differences in abilities between different emulsions before I proceed. Thanks for the help.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Maco/Cachet offered a few Liquid Emulsions, graded and VC. They may be available under other brands--I'm not sure who the original manufacturer was. Check J&C.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is possible to make your own liquid emulsions in the darkroom in about 45 minutes total time with only 7 chemicals. The results will be between slow enlarger and contact speed and will have contrast grades of about 2 or lower. This includes hardening agents and spreading agents.

Formulas for the emulsion are posted on the net or available from participants in this or other forums.

With additional work and at least one more chemical, you can achieve up to ISO 25 and ortho sensitivity. These formulas are not posted or currently available, but I understand that they may be in the not so distant future.

Your biggest problems with the commercial and home grown emulsions alike will be adhesion to the substrate, spreading (coating uniformly) and hardening. Commercial emulsions often remain unsold on the shelf for a long time. They are not high volume items. Therefore, they may deteriorate with time. IDK, I have avoided using them.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    Commercial emulsions often remain unsold on the shelf for a long time. They are not high volume items. Therefore, they may deteriorate with time. IDK, I have avoided using them.
    PE
    That's a good point. I wonder how affected they are in the long term.

AK making your own, I'm interested. Where to look? Google it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dr. Bruce Kahn (google) of RIT has posted his emulsion formula on the internet. It is a contact speed silver chloride emulsion that takes 3 ingredients and makes a very nice grade 2 image. You have to be careful with the formula, or it may give clumping and fog specks, but it is quite nice and compares favorably in tone with Multigrade IV paper at grade 2.

Do not use Knox food grade gelatin for its preparation. Make sure you get a good grade 'hard' gelatin such as sold by the Formulary. It should have a Bloom Index above about 175.

With keeping, the commercial grade emulsions could degrade and fog, and the gelatin might be attacked by bacteria or mold. IDK. I avoid them. They may be sterilzed and may keep well physically but chemically I have my doubts. In the worst case they would behave like keeping a box of paper or film on the shelf at room temperature a over long period.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Check the "Chemistry Recipes" section here, and I think you'll find one emulsion formula.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    this is one GREAT book - BUY IT!!
    there are many! recipies of making your own emulsion...

BUT

I have tried a few:
    Liquid Light : beautiful surface!! but too difficult for me... fogs to easily..
    TETENAL WORK : also great blacks. I have no clue whether you can get it in America, but here in Denamrk it is EXPENSIVE!!
    FOMA: cheap!! (in appearence. it needs at least two layers of coating, so the price goes up..)
    MACO: the same as FOMA. needs a lot of emulsion, so it gets a little annoying to work with.
    just tried the VC. result was dissapointingly flat images, even using filter 5..
    (this Could be me - needs to experiment more.)

the VERY BEST - price/workability is SE1 by Kentmere..
    totall matt in surface (you might add some glycerine to make a slightly more glossy surface..)
    BUT it works like a charm. one coating - easy to coat. Works like "normal" fiber based prints.
    works VERY well with different toners.

and it keeps well over time.
    I allways buy 5 liters at a time. It is a lot, but as I have students, it is the amount to buy.
    also when buying this in 5 liters, the price goes way down..

only one warning: IF you buy (do it with some friends and split the costs) be aware, that the bottle it is sent in, is NOT light proof. OPEN ONLY in a dark room...

so

SILVER GELATINE and SE1 and you are getting some where..
    and you can get it in the same place..(plus brushes)

www.silverprint.co.uk

have FUN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The formula posted on this forum is an old Kodak formula, published for patent purposes. It was available in a pamphlet upon request.

It works just fine, but is needlessly complex compared to that of Dr. Kahn. You could go either way. Both work just fine, but the Kodak emulsion here is a bit faster IIRC and takes a lot longer to make.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    the photographer's formulary sells formu-lite ( sorry about the bad spelling) ... never used it, and from what i remember it might be rebranded maco ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin