Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,035   Online: 800
      
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 34 of 34
  1. #31
    donbga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,053
    BTW, I meant to mention that the addition of gold chloride to the sensitiser may off set some of the color effects of the ferric citrate but it also shifts the color to a mauve colored brown (with or without the FC) which I like very much. The use of a gold additive also seems to smooth out the tonal scale (my subjective observation.) The use of gold will give a slight boost to the contrast but not much.

    Don

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,576
    Images
    27
    Matt, not trying to speak for Sandy, but think a densitometer would be very helpfull in determining the ES, DR of the negative. Don't feel left out, I am still trying to figure this all out as well...just glad there are so many here to help us.
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    I would suggest using selenium toner - but very very dilute selenium toner. Perhaps 1:1000 dilution. This may give you some added snap to some of your marginal images.

    Like many alt processes there can be many variations to achieve print nirvana!

    Good luck,

    Don
    Interesting Don, I know Matt and I both have used very dilute selenium toner and we have been please with the results. Matt has also done some toning in Plt as well. I on the other hand, used LiPd to tone with (had it on hand for Ziatypes is the only reason I tried it...well that and suggestion by Mateo) and found the reults very pleasing. One thing I did find is the LiPd, and this may be true with other toners in citric acid, the print bleachs at first then takes on a more neutral tone, away from brown. If you check my personal gallery you can hopefully see what I am describing. The first two images were left to tone for 4-6 minutes before going into the thiosulfate, the third one though was the first one I tried and it bleached so much, thought is was ruined, but went ahead and pulled it after only a minute, into a water bath and then the thiosulfate. Have been able to reproduce this BTW..more than minute color shifts to more neutral tone, around a minute and it has the color you see in the third print.

    Thanks for the information...
    Mike C

    Rambles

  3. #33
    roy
    roy is offline
    roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    West Sussex
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,301
    [QUOTE=photomc]Matt, not trying to speak for Sandy, but think a densitometer would be very helpfull in determining the ES, DR of the negative. Don't feel left out, I am still trying to figure this all out as well...just glad there are so many here to help us.QUOTE]

    One of the things about this great forum is the way so much useful and helpful information is given in the quest to strive for better pictures. I have been drawn to Matt's growing portfolio of Van Dyke brown prints and look forward to any new image posted. This was acting as an incentive to me but I thought that the process had limitations as far as the contrast is concerned. I look forward to the continuing discussion on how to bring out this contrast as I think that as Matt has shown us, the process is capable of very fine results.
    Roy Groombridge.

    Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

  4. #34
    donbga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,053
    Mike,
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Interesting Don, I know Matt and I both have used very dilute selenium toner and we have been please with the results. Matt has also done some toning in Plt as well. I on the other hand, used LiPd to tone with (had it on hand for Ziatypes is the only reason I tried it...well that and suggestion by Mateo) and found the reults very pleasing. One thing I did find is the LiPd, and this may be true with other toners in citric acid, the print bleachs at first then takes on a more neutral tone, away from brown. If you check my personal gallery you can hopefully see what I am describing. The first two images were left to tone for 4-6 minutes before going into the thiosulfate, the third one though was the first one I tried and it bleached so much, thought is was ruined, but went ahead and pulled it after only a minute, into a water bath and then the thiosulfate. Have been able to reproduce this BTW..more than minute color shifts to more neutral tone, around a minute and it has the color you see in the third print.

    Thanks for the information...
    Mike,

    I did see your print scans and thought the results are interesting. I've used the LiPd with Kallitypes but not VDB. The problem is (if you want to call it a problem) is that there are so many variations one can try.

    My toning of VDB with palladium have generally not please me since the color shift has been too neutral for me. I do need to test a palladium additive for self toning.

    Don

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin