Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,271   Online: 955

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    B&H and Calumet have these trays. They are listed as Cescolite without the hyphen.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    my question is where do you get your flat bottom trays from? Im finding that I need too much solution in a HUGE 16x20 tray to adequately get the print cover.

like mike, thanks in advance.
    Matt, might consider something non-photographic to use...like a cat litter box or other source. Will keep my eyes open for alternatives and let you know what shows up...by the way another non-photographic source is here tried the link earlier and it was down for some reason. Have checked them out before, lots of cool stuff for us photographer types. All else fails you could make one out of plexiglass, custom made to fit your print size
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    always so much helpful information sandy.... wish I could return the favor some how

one question... I had about 20 prints all laid out last night at a meeting and looking at the platinum toned 7x17 I find I like it more and more... and it solves the "temporary" nature of VDB so I want to start making a habit of pt toning everytime I print a Van Dyke. my question is where do you get your flat bottom trays from? Im finding that I need too much solution in a HUGE 16x20 tray to adequately get the print cover.

like mike, thanks in advance.
    You might take the exact measuremnts of what you need and have a look at a place like Lowes or Home Depot. Many of the plastic containers they sell could be used for this purpose.

But your idea to tone all VDB prints is a smart one. Un-toned they are just not very permanent.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My experience in albumen and POP concurs with Sandy's VDB and kalli info regarding which toner to use when in the sequence. I'm cheap (read poor), so I use selenium for the most part. A moderately toned kallitype (30-45 seconds in a 1:50 solution) takes on the look of a really warm pd print with no bleaching and tonal rendition that rivals pt/pd. YMMV

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjarvis
    My experience in albumen and POP concurs with Sandy's VDB and kalli info regarding which toner to use when in the sequence. I'm cheap (read poor), so I use selenium for the most part. A moderately toned kallitype (30-45 seconds in a 1:50 solution) takes on the look of a really warm pd print with no bleaching and tonal rendition that rivals pt/pd. YMMV

Is this a 1:50 dilution of Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner? Most of the people I know who are toning kallitypes with Rapid Selenium are using a much more dilute solution, say 1:500. I suspect that kind of solution really does give much permanence but I bet your 1:50 dilution does.

And exactly when are you toning? After final wash, or do you allow the print to dry and then tone later?

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Is this a 1:50 dilution of Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner? Most of the people I know who are toning kallitypes with Rapid Selenium are using a much more dilute solution, say 1:500. I suspect that kind of solution really does give much permanence but I bet your 1:50 dilution does.

And exactly when are you toning? After final wash, or do you allow the print to dry and then tone later?

Sandy
    I'm curious, too, I came into a large batch of free silver nitrate and wanted to try out the kallitypes with selenium toning.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    just my two cents worth...
    I havent (yet) done any kallitype printing... but in regards to VDB, overall, I dont much like the selenium toned look of a VDB print. It seems to give somewhat flatter effects to the image. sometimes almost going so much as to yellow the image more so than Id prefer. Im printing and pt toning a few 8x10 negatives from a recent visit to the Missions in San Antonio. Ill post them when/if they turn out well.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    per my statement above...
    http://scootermagruder.com/temp/Acequia8x10VDBPlat.jpg

This image a slightly over printed VDB print. I would have likely removed the print at around 4mins exposure... given the normal "darkening" that so noticeably occurs with fixing and drying of a straight VDB print. Im finding that when pt toning VDB prints I need to over expose it to UV light because the toning and fixing doesnt seem to darken it as much as Im used to with straight printing.

tech details...
    Cranes 90# Cover paper.
    coated with 2ml of VDB solution.
    exposed for 5min
    washed
    toned in pt toner for 10mins: 10gm Citric Acid, 10 drops of platinum solution #3 added to 1000ml of distilled water
    fixed for 2mins
    washed for 1hr
    hung to dry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My 1:50 is indeed Kodak RST. I tone after fixing (and a few minute rinse) but before the final wash.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin