Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,612   Online: 1080

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    sorry about your troubles gandolfi -
    i know what it is like to work hard doing something
    and have no fruits from your labors ...

i have a question regarding bleaching of the "matrix" print ...

i have a question regarding the bleaching solution ...
    does one have to use:

acetic acid
    copper sulphate
    potassium bromide
    potassium dichromate

or can one use something like borax to bleach the image ?

much thanks!

-john
    thanks john
    I should have only bleached a couple last night - and then changed the bleach today. It actually was the natural way to go. but I got "greedy" - wanted to do all in one batch...
    the trouble is, that I sort of have to guess when to change the bleach - I don't have a test thingy....alas..

about the bleach.

I use the one described in Silver Gelatine..
    (15g potassium bromide
    15 g copper sulphate
    1g potassium dichromate
    for 1/2 liter water..)
    then dilute 1:3 for use.

Gene laughter, who is the expert in the area (I think) uses:
    an I quote:
    70 ml 10% Copper Sulphate
    70 ml 10% Pot. Bromide
    30 ml 1% Pot Dichromate
    Distilled water to make one liter

This will bleach/tan about ten 8 x 10 inch prints with a one inch safe edge = 6 x 8 inch image. If the images are low key it will bleach only eight prints. If high key, twelve prints. I bleach for eight minutes per print with constant agitation. Wash 10 minutes. Fix for three and a half minutes. I use a 10% fix made from pure hypo crystals. Wash for 15 to 20 minutes. Air dry overnight.

Other bleaches are news to me as I am sort of a beginner as of yet..

best of luck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Bromoil Bleach

Any old bleach won't work for bromoil. Copper sulphate must be used. It combines with the pot. bichromate to accomplish the selective tanning.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"The Expert?"

"Gene laughter, who is the expert in the area (I think) uses:
    an I quote:"

I'm Gene Laughter and I don't claim to be "the expert!" I have inked a lot of bromoil prints and I have made a lot of mistakes along the way. I think I'm beginning to get the hang of it! Cheers, Gene

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks gandilfi + gene

i forgot about the tanning part !

- - john

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleigene
    "Gene laughter, who is the expert in the area (I think) uses:
    an I quote:"

I'm Gene Laughter and I don't claim to be "the expert!" I have inked a lot of bromoil prints and I have made a lot of mistakes along the way. I think I'm beginning to get the hang of it! Cheers, Gene
    hi Gene - maybe you don't claim to be the expert - but to me you are....

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    How hot is your soak bath? When my bleach is too strong, I heat the bath to get the swelling to the correct point. Maybe you need to use a cooler bath as not to swell the matrix to the point of the ink not sticking.

Have you seen this for reference?

http://alt-photo.com/alt-photo/bromoil/

And did you know Mortonsen was a teacher here in Utah and was run out of town for photographing students in the buff?

Small world.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall
    How hot is your soak bath? When my bleach is too strong, I heat the bath to get the swelling to the correct point. Maybe you need to use a cooler bath as not to swell the matrix to the point of the ink not sticking.

Have you seen this for reference?

http://alt-photo.com/alt-photo/bromoil/

And did you know Mortonsen was a teacher here in Utah and was run out of town for photographing students in the buff?

Small world.

I teach students, and on occasion I take pictures of them...
    but I havn't been run out of town yet...
    Blissful Denmark...

about the bleach. I am carefull not to use hot bleach or rinsing water as I am using liquid emulsion as base...
    and I don't want to melt the emulsion..

I threw out all the mistakes as they are quite useless (alas), but I have since done another batch of 25 images and bleached/inked them without problems.

actually I think Bromoil is quite easy, as long as I stick to liquid emulsion (from FOMA)
    I still have to learn the bromoil of "normal" papers..... have no clue..

my girlfriend is trying out the oilprinting, and that might be a challenge. It certainly is more difficult as there are so many variables to get right.
    (amount of gelatine - amount of p.dichromate - how long to expose and so on..)

but I am having fun.
    (except that I havn't any more emulsion........)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Bromoil Show and Two Day Seminar

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]There will be a month long show, [COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Navy]"The Art of Bromoil"[/COLOR][/COLOR] at the Plant Zero Gallery in Richmond, Virginia opening on October 28. The show is sponsored by the International Society of Bromoilists and will feature the work of about 25 artists from around the globe. All in all there will be approximately 150 bromoil prints hanging in the gallery. There will also be a Historic Section of the show with bromoil prints by masters from the past. The two day seminar (Oct. 28 and 29), [COLOR=Navy]"Hopperfest V,"[/COLOR] is non-profit and there is a $50 registration fee to cover expenses. There will be a number of Bromoil Demonstrations for beginners and advanced bromoilists. For more info, contact me: [COLOR=Navy]glaughter@earthlink.net[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Last edited by Rolleigene; 08-17-2005 at 04:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleigene
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]There will be a month long show, [COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Navy]"The Art of Bromoil"[/COLOR][/COLOR] at the Plant Zero Gallery in Richmond, Virginia opening on October 28. The show is sponsored by the International Society of Bromoilists and will feature the work of about 25 artists from around the globe. All in all there will be approximately 150 bromoil prints hanging in the gallery. There will also be a Historic Section of the show with bromoil prints by masters from the past. The two day seminar (Oct. 28 and 29), [COLOR=Navy]"Hopperfest V,"[/COLOR] is non-profit and there is a $50 registration fee to cover expenses. There will be a number of Bromoil Demonstrations for beginners and advanced bromoilists. For more info, contact me: [COLOR=Navy]glaughter@earthlink.net[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    GOOD LUCK with it.
    too far for me......

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Emil -- It's just a short hop across the pond! :>)

Before I was wired to the internet I hopped across the pond to visit Norman Gryspeerdt and Maija McDougal a couple of times. This trips were a quest for bromoil knowledge. The most important thing I learned was that brushes weren't all that important. Gryspeerdt made his from cheap artists brushes and Maija still uses shaving brushes trimmed to a stag foot shape.

Gene

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin