Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,295   Online: 936

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleigene
    Emil -- It's just a short hop across the pond! :>)

Before I was wired to the internet I hopped across the pond to visit Norman Gryspeerdt and Maija McDougal a couple of times. This trips were a quest for bromoil knowledge. The most important thing I learned was that brushes weren't all that important. Gryspeerdt made his from cheap artists brushes and Maija still uses shaving brushes trimmed to a stag foot shape.

Gene
    wow - but the flight fare is devastating..
    EVERYTHING bought here in Dk is expensive..
    remember - a liter of petrol is now 1.65$....

about the brushes. I don't really know how to use brushes... so I do with something else..
    (afraid to tell - are there special "rules" on what is right or not?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rules? What are they? Whatever works is my rule - even if one applies the ink with his/her fingers like a child's finger painting! :>)

Cheers! Gene

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    UPDATE: 10 KG's !! of FOMA emulsion just arriwed here..
    off to work .. (alas my students occupy the darkroom..)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Norman Gryspeerdt

Quote Originally Posted by roy
    Buying a copy of the late Norman Gryspeerdt's video "Gryspeerdt and the Bromoil Process" should give you a lot of information and an insight into his way of working. I have seen several of his prints and they were excellent.
    I was fortunate to know Norman Gryspeerdt and visited him at his home in Eastbourne. Norman generously gave me one of his original prints as well as a number of his personal books on bromoil. "I'll never crack the covers of these books again, Gene." "Take these," he said. "You can put them to use." What a nice, talented man he was! A giant of photography!

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Gene,

Your posts in the gallery are wonderful...thanks,

Dave in Vegas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Gene,

Your posts in the gallery are wonderful...thanks,

Dave in Vegas
    Wow are they ever. I am floored by how well the technique works with the subject to make them so very expressive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene_Laughter
    I was fortunate to know Norman Gryspeerdt and visited him at his home in Eastbourne. Norman generously gave me one of his original prints as well as a number of his personal books on bromoil. "I'll never crack the covers of these books again, Gene." "Take these," he said. "You can put them to use." What a nice, talented man he was! A giant of photography!
    Hi Gene,

I am very happy to see your postings here. it is really good to hear from you. Has been a long time. Do you still have the place in Myrtle Beach?

Bromoil is a fascinating process, capable of almost any kind of long a person may want, from fine grain and great detail to fully pictorial. I have only dabbled with it personally, but some years ago I wrote an introduction for a book on Schmide de las Heras, a pictorial photographer from A Coruña. The book was published by the Xunta de Galicia and contains some remarkable plates of Schmidt's bromoils, which were made in virtually every tone imaginable. I also cataloged the collection, which is owned by a good friend of mine from A Coruña, Jose Vázquez Caruncho, a great photographer in his own right who has published several books of photographs of Galicia. Jose was the god son of Schmidt, and inherited his collection of bromoil prints.

One of the greatest bromoil workers of all time, from a purely technical perspective, was Joaquim Pla Janini from Barcelona. He produced some absolutely perfect bromoil transfers in very large sizes. Pla's work, unfortunately, is not very well known outside of Spain. A nice catalog of the work was published by the Fundacio la Caixa of Barcelona in 1996 after exhibitions in Barcelona, Tarragona and Palma.

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I was wondering if a Gene Laughter bromoil workshop would be a possibility....just wondering

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    I was wondering if a Gene Laughter bromoil workshop would be a possibility....just wondering

I'd be all over that!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Well Whitey, that makes two already, should we get a class roster together and petition Gene?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin