Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,934   Posts: 1,557,035   Online: 1245

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

Bromoil - anyone?

Some time ago I asked if anyone was doing oilprints... it didn't seem to be the case..

so I'll try this.
    Bromoil? anyone doing it?

I am just beginning to learn this technique - I use liquid emulsion as a base, and it is SO MUCH FUN!

anyone?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I tried bromoil. Ironically, the best bromoil print I ever did, which actually did look great but was the only decent bromoil I ever made, was a test print; I had soaked my prints for about three days, and well, I never knew that the silver just comes off the print after soaking for so long... So it has a few portions where the silver gelatin came off, but still, it looked quite nice.

Of all the processes I tried, (palladium, azo, kallitype, satista ,van-dyke, cyanotype, and an extremely short-lived attempt at oilprints- where I never produced a print that would even qualify as "absolutely horrible!") bromoil was my favorite; I'm not sure why, but it might have been in part due to the fact that I didn't have to enlarge negatives and I could keep printing on the same paper I liked to use (Ilford warmtone FB).

Unfortunately I wasn't ever able to get the hang of bromoil, even after trying other papers, including the ones recommended for it, and I eventually decided that as fun as it was, even with all the lousy prints I made, I would have preferred to devote my time to taking more photos and working in the darkroom, so I gave up on all of the alternative processes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's certainly on my list of things to try, but so far I've got no further than attending a one day workshop; great fun. Inspiration may be found here:
    Bromoil
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    BTW. Link to Bromoil paper supplier which may be of interest.Retrophotographic
    Good company to deal with.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Buying a copy of the late Norman Gryspeerdt's video "Gryspeerdt and the Bromoil Process" should give you a lot of information and an insight into his way of working. I have seen several of his prints and they were excellent.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brent8927
    Of all the processes I tried, (palladium, azo, kallitype, satista ,van-dyke, cyanotype, and an extremely short-lived attempt at oilprints- where I never produced a print that would even qualify as "absolutely horrible!") bromoil was my favorite; I'm not sure why, but it might have been in part due to the fact that I didn't have to enlarge negatives and I could keep printing on the same paper I liked to use (Ilford warmtone FB).

poor you!..

you should try with liquid emulsion as base - I thought it was hard to do, but in fact it is coming on far more easy than I thought...

if you want information on how to - please tell.

att. my first attempt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails far-LILLE.jpg  

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bromoil is on my ever-growing list of things to do...

But we would welcome a demonstration at the Loen LF gathering
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Bromoil is on my ever-growing list of things to do...

But we would welcome a demonstration at the Loen LF gathering
    I am afraid I havn't got the money to travel..;(

could have been fun, though.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    FRUSTRATION SETS IN:

I small story - a typical Schildt-story.

yesterday, I was working hard to try to learn more about different motives and the "easiness" of those..

So I did 25 different images, with liquid emulsion.
    Two layers, and time to let them dry in between..

I did different motives. Large Format flowers.. - 12550 iso Diana image - "normal" Diana images..-
    The (in my opinion) difficult one: the fair skinned young beauty..(so difficult to make the image look even and smooth..)
    Dark Paint with light (Munch-like images) and so on..

the emulsion is fantastic to work with - SO easy. so I ended up with 25 beautiful images late last night..

being in a roll, I decided that I could bleach them right there and then, as I was not so tired (so I thought)

I bleached and bleached, and rinsed- re fixed - rinsed and let them dry over night..

I was so exhited that I almost couldn't fall a sleep - imaging to have 25 images ready for inking..

so today was the time...

NOTHING HAPPENED! nothing at all! the ink wouldnt stick, and no motive emerged..

I fear I have used the bleach too much. worn it down..
    I wish I had a way of determine when the dichromate stops working...<
    I was actually thinking about making new bleach, but the lazynes/tirednes got the better of me....

the worst part: I can't do it again!!! the emulsion has been used, and FOMA tells me that they don't export it......

so that's 25 images out the window....

small ignorant question: is there any way of saving theese? I fear not, but I am an amateur, so IF; please let me know.

so typical me: new to things, and then I just think it is easy, and "how difficult can it be"...

tell me that I am not the only one...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sorry about your troubles gandolfi -
    i know what it is like to work hard doing something
    and have no fruits from your labors ...

i have a question regarding bleaching of the "matrix" print ...

the bleaching solution --- does one have to use:

acetic acid
    copper sulphate
    potassium bromide
    potassium dichromate

or can one use something like borax to bleach the image ?

much thanks!

-john
    Last edited by jnanian; 08-13-2005 at 02:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin