Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,541   Online: 1184

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Consistency of NuArc 26-1K

Hi folks,

I posted the following message at another site, but so far have not gotten a clear explanation for the problem. So let me see if anyone here might want to comment.

This week I have been printing some multiples of a negative in palladium, exposing with a NuArc 26-1K. I have experienced a lot of difficulty in printing exact duplicates, even though the integrator appears to be working as it should. The situation is that I am printing one after the other (exposures of about three minutes) , with just enough time between each printing to change the negative from one piece of sensitized paper to the next. What I am finding is that each printing results in slightly greater density on the print than the last, with the last of four about 1/4 stop more dense than the first of four. I develop all four prints at the same time so processing is not an issue.

I thought for a while that the problem was a coating one, but nothing I did to get greater consistency in coating helped. Then I decided to try to print the negatives with my BLB exposure unit, which is also controlled by a light integrator. Result. Four prints of identical density. And just to be sure I did it again with the BLB unit with the same result.

So I appear to have a problem with the NuArc, but why? If I only print once and then not again for 15-20 minutes I get perfectly consistent exposures with the NuArc. What appears to be the case is that as the bulb heats up the response of the integrator is changed. But why?

Would like to hear from other NuArc 26-1k users to know if you have been able to make exact duplicates printing the way I described above.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy, could it be the sensor. It seems like since the bulb is already warmed up you are getting more light even though the integrater its not suppost to make a difference . Its the only thing that makes sense to me.

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    Sandy, could it be the sensor. It seems like since the bulb is already warmed up you are getting more light even though the integrater its not suppost to make a difference . Its the only thing that makes sense to me.

Steve
    But how could that be? Bad sensor?

The sensor is positioned in the upper part of the unit so that it receives light only from the lamp, and it does not move during exposoure. It just seems that as the lamp heats up, the sensor slows the count down.

Might have to contact the folks at NuArc about this.

BTW, just wondering if you remember what happened to the brush that Sharon was using to coat for VDB and kallitype? That was a real Richeson brush (and these fellows are not cheap) and I forgot to take it home. If by any chance you folks took it back to Washington with you, just enjoy. But if it is still there at the Formulary, maybe you can locate it next time you are there and hang on to it.

Best,

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What may be going on is the sensor is not sensitive in the same wavelengths as the platinum print. As the bulb heats the UV output is rising faster than the visible light. Might take a filter on the sensor and some adjustments in the calibration to even things out.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    What may be going on is the sensor is not sensitive in the same wavelengths as the platinum print. As the bulb heats the UV output is rising faster than the visible light. Might take a filter on the sensor and some adjustments in the calibration to even things out.
    Interesting. That did not cross my mind, but it sure makes sense.

The UV sensor that I have on the BLB bank of lights is very specific for the wavelength of those tubes. This could explain the greater consistency. Plus, I don't think the BLB tubes change tempeature during exposure as much as the NuArc HID lamp.,

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy,

PM sent about the brush.

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    As I was reading thru the thread I was thinking the same thing as Gary.
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a function of heat. If the system is left on prior to exposure (a while, whatever that is) to warm up all parts in the circuit, does that help? I know this is not scientific, but resistance in circuitry varies as a function of heat at times. Somewhere in the loop, resistance must be changing which allows a larger amount of current to flow. No idea which part of the circuit it might be (bulb, transformers, integrator, switches, etc.) so leave the thing on a while and see if it doesn't stabilize after all comes up to a working temperature. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy

I have PM'd you with the details for the tech who specializes in these units... I suspect it could be a power supply issues related to heat.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What about a cooling fan and a hose as some larger enlargers use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin