Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,379   Online: 872

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    Kodachrome has no dye couplers, dyes and couplers are provided in the three (!) color development stages, along with reversal exposures.
    On this, I'm mostly just curious, not that I want to try it or anything, but can you or anybody maybe give pointers to a good explanation on how Kodachrome is processed. I keep hearing veiled references to adding dyes and couplers, and multiple re-exposures with colored light, but I've never found anything authoritative and concise. TIA.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr
    On this, I'm mostly just curious, not that I want to try it or anything, but can you or anybody maybe give pointers to a good explanation on how Kodachrome is processed. I keep hearing veiled references to adding dyes and couplers, and multiple re-exposures with colored light, but I've never found anything authoritative and concise. TIA.
    Camera and Darkroom had a definitive article on Kodachrome Processing - at least the K14 process. Many steps and solutions - and processing at various temperatures in the process. Most of the chemistry could only be obtained in LARGE bulk packaging ~ 500 pounds or so.

I've been as busy as I ever have been in recent memory lately. I'll try to find time to transcribe and post the recipe.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    I'll try to find time to transcribe and post the recipe.
    Thanks, Ed. I would appreciate that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those interested, here is a thumbnail of Kodachrome processing:

Rem-Jet removal
    Rinse
    First developer
    Wash
    Red Reexposure through the base
    Cyan color developer
    Wash
    Blue Reexposure through the emulsion side
    Yellow color developer
    Wash
    Chemical fog
    Magenta color developer
    Wash
    Bleach
    Wash
    Fix
    Wash
    Dry

It takes over 1 hour IIRC, and the developers are very high pH and quite unstable. The process has to run 24/7 for all practical purposes to stay in control. And, since the couplers are in the developers, you can watch them turn cyan, yellow and magenta as they aerially oxidize.

It can be done by hand in a small sink line dip and dunk. That is how small samples of Kodachrome are processed during the research and development cycle.

FYI, in the 80s Kodak trade trialed a 400 speed Kodachrome that was beautiful, but no one was interested. So, it died before it was born. The last Kodak ads for Kodachrome were in the early 90s, as the market share had shrunk by then to the point where it was already dying before any d***tal came along.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin