Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,889   Online: 1199

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dear Sandy,

Thank you for your reply. I picked that up from your article on UV printing lights. It didn't seem overly complicated to reposition the fixtures.

Personally, I am a much better wood worker than I am electrician. I mentioned my approach to taking the unit apart for those who might be reluctant to build a light unit because of the wiring involved. The shop light plugs directly into the outlet, so the only wiring involved is to attach the ground to the metal reflecting plate. By taking the units apart, I saved the extra weight of the metal units.

The fact that it is cheaper was a bonus.

I bought the 48" unit because I am building a 48" unit. They would work equally well in a 24" unit, one would just have more wire curled in the top of the unit. If Commercial Electric makes a 24" unit, then that would be the way to go.

Also, I want to thank you for the excellent article on UV light sources. I searched my books and the net for different articles. I found yours extremely helpful in guiding me on which type of light to build for my needs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Did you ever try the bulb you were talking about? I have been looking at the H400BL, and the prices are really good at the sight you mention, but I wonder about the abilites of the bulb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made a UV printer using 4 of the 15-watt versions of this bulb. Works fine for 8x10. I found my bulbs at the local outlet for lightbulbdepot.com

juan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan
    I made a UV printer using 4 of the 15-watt versions of this bulb. Works fine for 8x10. I found my bulbs at the local outlet for lightbulbdepot.com

juan
    Juan, 15 watt versions of the coiled flourescent bulb?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I built a UV box with 12 20W spiral fluorescent BLB bulbs from Save on Lighting (see Sandy's link). My box has 12 bulbs (3x4) spaced 6" apart (from center of bulb) and 5" above the contact frame glass. It gives perfectly even lighting, easily covering 8x20" (my biggest format). Print times are nearly identical to a similar box with 8 F20T12/BL bulbs, which had a slight light falloff at the edges of 8x20. This was the reason for the rebuild. The screw in BLB bulbs are great! Bright, start instantly and warm up fast.

Linas
    Linas Kudzma

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, yes, 15-watt versions of the coiled flourescent tube. I'm noticing a little fall off on the ends of my 8x10, so I'm thinking of getting two more - making a bank of 2 x 3 bulbs. I just screwed the bulbs into standard porcelain light fixtures from the hardware store - that spaces them about 2 1/2" apart. The tips of the bulbs are about 2" above the negative.
    juan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin