Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 772

Shooter
    Digital Negs

Ultra violet Leds

I have been looking out fro some white Light emmiting diodes to make myself a ring light for macro work - it is probably cheaper than a ring flash. I noticed that one supplier I looked at had a range of UV leds - I wonder if these could be use in a matrix say 20 x 20 leds (or more) to be used as an UV exposure source when exposing alt process negatives.
    A supplier info page is here: (no recomendations)
    http://www.lsdiodes.com/shop/index.p...products_id=15

I am not sure about brightness it quotes in MCD'S that I havn't heard of before.

nn

Shooter
    Large Format
    I experimented with these (395 nm) for exposing Azo and the results were not workable...alt process would be even more unworkable.

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Thanks for the info - I gather that the MCD abbreviation stands for milli-candle power so would not have the intensity required.

nn

Shooter
    Large Format
    There is both the intensity and also possibly the nm emission spectrum to consider...Not all UV is the same UV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://superbrightleds.com/leds.htm has some 2000 mcd UV LEDs. Probably still not up to the job, but nearly 4 times the output of your indicated supplier.

Single unit price is also $1.79 compared to $0.60 of the lower output unit.

Yes, mcd stands for millicandle, 1/1000 th of a standard candle flame output.

Lee

Images
    numnutz, mcd is indeed milli-candela. FYI, This is a unit of luminous intesity, which means it is referenced to what the human eye sees and not what sensors or photographic materials see. The human eye doesn't see well at blue or violet. So something that is dim to the eye, can be bright to a piece of film or paper.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

mcd

Quote Originally Posted by numnutz
    Thanks for the info - I gather that the MCD abbreviation stands for milli-candle power so would not have the intensity required.
    nn
    Milli-candella.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin