Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,645   Online: 954

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Alt. print dodging/burning/print-manipulating

this could perhaps be under the ethics/philosophy forum... maybe not...
    depends on how you see it...
    Im curious who here does printing manipulations to their alternative prints (Van Dykes, pd/pt, salt prints, cyanotypes, albumens, dags, etc etc etc)
    Ive wondered about it alot recently. Theres a part of me that follows the methodology of straight printing when it comes to alt printing (which is about all I do recently) and then theres those few negatives that I think... "oh some burning in of the sky here, or some burning in of the corners here, or some dodging of a detail here" might help the overall image.
    I have done only a little of it in the past but am finding that sometimes it might help.
    So how many others do dodging/burning/etc of their alternative prints?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt, I have done some general burning with my 5x7 negatives when I felt it was necessary. It is much trickier burning in my light box than it is doing it with a traditional enlarger set-up. If you find you are doing LOTS of dodging and burning can I suggest contrast masking or maybe looking for a Nu-Arc?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    yeah Ive done a fair amount of it jeremy... I have enough space in my UV box to make it workable. was more wondering what others opinions were on it.

would the nuarc give shorter times you thinking?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    this could perhaps be under the ethics/philosophy forum... maybe not...
    depends on how you see it...
    Im curious who here does printing manipulations to their alternative prints (Van Dykes, pd/pt, salt prints, cyanotypes, albumens, dags, etc etc etc)
    Ive wondered about it alot recently. Theres a part of me that follows the methodology of straight printing when it comes to alt printing (which is about all I do recently) and then theres those few negatives that I think... "oh some burning in of the sky here, or some burning in of the corners here, or some dodging of a detail here" might help the overall image.
    I have done only a little of it in the past but am finding that sometimes it might help.
    So how many others do dodging/burning/etc of their alternative prints?
    I dodge and burn quite a bit when printing. One way that works well for me is to cut out a mask from a piece of fairly heavy paper and put supports under it to keep it about 1-2" from the surface of the sensitized paper (on top of the glass of course). If you move this around several times during exposure this will diffuse the light so that you won't see any uneven exposure marks. The key is to move the mask several times during exposure.

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    good idea sandy. raising the mask is a smart idea. the dodging Ive done was by using a scrap piece of matboard and moving it around slightly during the longer exposures.

raising I imagine, in and of itself, would even help to diffuse the light as well.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    another question... I remember reading somewhere... at the moment cant remember where, or in reference to who, it was but it was in reference to someone historically (photographically of course) and how they felt it was "wrong" or against some unspoken/unwritten rule somewhere to dodge and burn contact prints... especially the likes of a pd/pt print. what are peoples thoughts on this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not wrong if you don't get caught.

another question... I remember reading somewhere... at the moment cant remember where, or in reference to who, it was but it was in reference to someone historically (photographically of course) and how they felt it was "wrong" or against some unspoken/unwritten rule somewhere to dodge and burn contact prints... especially the likes of a pd/pt print. what are peoples thoughts on this?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    touche, my friend, Mr. Clay.

touche indeed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Booooooooooooooogusssssss!!! Hooey!! Load of crap!

Need I say more??

Kerik

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Booooooooooooooogusssssss!!! Hooey!! Load of crap!

Need I say more??

Kerik

hahaha
    yeah it seemed pretty damn bogus to me as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin