Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,440   Online: 815

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Kallitypes, coating advice for large prints???

I'm getting ready to make some 12x20 Kallitypes, and am wondering if those who have done large prints can give me some advice on coating the paper.

I did some small prints coating with an acrylic rod, but have given up on it in favor of a wide 1 1/2 inch watercolor brush.

I am using 18 drops of solution for a 5x8 negative. I'm putting 9 drops on the top of the paper and 9 on the bottom. With the brush slightly damp I'm able to get very beautiful even coats that are printing beautifully.

I am worried that with the extremely large print size I am going to attempt, how I can get enough emulsion onto the paper and get it spread quickly and evenly enough before it starts to absorb and leave marks.

So...any advice?

Thanks!
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade
    I'm getting ready to make some 12x20 Kallitypes, and am wondering if those who have done large prints can give me some advice on coating the paper.

I did some small prints coating with an acrylic rod, but have given up on it in favor of a wide 1 1/2 inch watercolor brush.

I am using 18 drops of solution for a 5x8 negative. I'm putting 9 drops on the top of the paper and 9 on the bottom. With the brush slightly damp I'm able to get very beautiful even coats that are printing beautifully.

I am worried that with the extremely large print size I am going to attempt, how I can get enough emulsion onto the paper and get it spread quickly and evenly enough before it starts to absorb and leave marks.

So...any advice?

Thanks!
    I recommend coating with a brush, not a glass rod. And one of the best brushes you can use, whether for kallitype, vandyke or Pt./Pd. is the Jack Richesion 9010 series. For coating a 12X20 I would recommend a 2" brush. The Jack Richeson is not cheap, but it is the best by far that I have used.

To make a 12X20 kalllitype I use about 6ml of total solution, i.e. 3ml of ferric oxalate solution and 3ml of silver nitrate solution. I double coat for an increase in Dmax, but the second coat is diluted 1:1 with water, that is, 1.5ml FO + 1.5ml SN + 3ml of water.

To coat with the Richeson brush, first rinse it in water (distilled better but perhaps not essential in your area), then shake it a few times until most of the water is gone, but not so much that the brush separates. Just pour the sensitizer in the center of the paper and brush it on very quickly. Coat first with brush strokes in the long direction, then in the short direction, and finally on the diagonal. The key to a good coating is, 1) quit coating before you start to see brush strokes on the paper, and 2) don't leave any puddles of senstizer on the paper.

If you double cost, allow the paper to dry for 5-10 minutes, and repeat the coating operation.

BTW, there is a revised version of my article on kallitype at http://www.alternativephotography.co...kallitype.html. This is the same article that has been http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Ka...kallitype.html for a few years, with some new images and a few minor changes in operating procedures.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sandy,

Thanks for the insight. I have not done any double coating yet, but can see the definite advantage with the larger prints. The second coat being diluted 1:1 is an interesting twist.

I'm ordering my 17" roll of Pictorico OHP very soon (if not today...).

I'll get that brush too. My 1 1/2 inch brush is made in a very similar fashion, but I think that the 2 inch brush would be better for larger areas.

Thanks again!
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree with Sandy except that I would recommend the 4" Richeson brush for 12x20.

Kerik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looking at the brush I have now, it is indeed a 2 1/2 inch brush, not a 1 1/2 like I indicated. I'm thinking that Kerik may just be onto something with the 4-inch brush.

That is a spendy brush though...$125?! Ouch!
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade
    Looking at the brush I have now, it is indeed a 2 1/2 inch brush, not a 1 1/2 like I indicated. I'm thinking that Kerik may just be onto something with the 4-inch brush.

That is a spendy brush though...$125?! Ouch!
    Michael,
    You can find them for a lot less money than that.
    Try Jerrysartarama.com or artxpress.com
    I think I paid around $55 or $60 for a 3 inch version.
    Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    I agree with Sandy except that I would recommend the 4" Richeson brush for 12x20.

Kerik
    Actually I also use a 4" brush for 12X20 prints.

In recommending the 2" version I was just trying to save Michael from too much sticker shock.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can also try Dixie Art Supply The 4 in Richeson is $65, 3 in is $54. Try a few searches, there are good prices out there, I use a 2 in for 8x10, at $25 is was some of the best money ever spent on DR products.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    also heres a little cheaper link for the 4" 9010 brush....
    http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-su.../0029128000000

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    woops.... mike and I think alike... just noticed he has already posted a link.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin