Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,353   Online: 1186

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only uncoated Bergger paper we can get here is COT320 which has no Baryta coating on it, only a gelatin subcoat. This is good paper, but not the same as having the Baryta layer.

Baryta improves whiteness and improves sharpness.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,

I´ve got unsensitized Bergger Baryta paper llying around too. On the envelope is a sticker that reads "Museum weight glossy" and "25 11x14 in". I tried to make Cyanotypes on it but the first test was not successful -- the seizing seems to be tanned too strong by the exposed sensitizer and the image falls in pieces from the paper.

An alternative that could be interesting is (older) Ilford inkjet paper. The Ilford SMGP7NL on rolls is a RC Paper with a simple gelatine coating as far as I know. That stuff gets really sticky when wet so I think the gelatine is not hardened. Just for the records: Cyanotyping on it has similar problems like on the Bergger Baryta.

Cheers
    Kai Hamann

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Hamann
    Hello,

I´ve got unsensitized Bergger Baryta paper llying around too. On the envelope is a sticker that reads "Museum weight glossy" and "25 11x14 in". I tried to make Cyanotypes on it but the first test was not successful -- the seizing seems to be tanned too strong by the exposed sensitizer and the image falls in pieces from the paper.

An alternative that could be interesting is (older) Ilford inkjet paper. The Ilford SMGP7NL on rolls is a RC Paper with a simple gelatine coating as far as I know. That stuff gets really sticky when wet so I think the gelatine is not hardened. Just for the records: Cyanotyping on it has similar problems like on the Bergger Baryta.

Cheers
    Kai Hamann
    Hi:

Do you know if this unsensitized Bergger Baryta paper can still be purchased anywhere? There are people on this site who are good at coating unsensitized Baryta paper with platinum\palladium and they might like to give this a try. I do recall some years back that a company was selling this type of paper with a minimum order of a case. I could not recall if it was Bergger or not.

Does anyone know who the U.S. distributor is?

THanks.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get the COT320 from the Formulary or direct from Bergger. I just bought 2 11x14 packs of 20 sheets directly from Bergger. Earlier this year, I bought some 8x10 from the Formulary. At that time, they did not have the 11x14 so I went direct to Bergger.

I have found that the original order of 8x10 accepts an emulsion coating differently than the newer 11x14. The 11x14 repels the gelatin more than the original 8x10 sheets, and the new 11x14 is in a white package whereas the 8x10 is in a brown pack with a different Bergger logo on it.

Both are quite good, but the newer batch is just not quite as good IMHO.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    You can get the COT320 from the Formulary or direct from Bergger. I just bought 2 11x14 packs of 20 sheets directly from Bergger. Earlier this year, I bought some 8x10 from the Formulary. At that time, they did not have the 11x14 so I went direct to Bergger.

I have found that the original order of 8x10 accepts an emulsion coating differently than the newer 11x14. The 11x14 repels the gelatin more than the original 8x10 sheets, and the new 11x14 is in a white package whereas the 8x10 is in a brown pack with a different Bergger logo on it.

Both are quite good, but the newer batch is just not quite as good IMHO.

PE
    Can you give me the contact info for Bergger?

Thanks.

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Bergger

Bergger:John Horowy
    815-282-9876
    sales@bergger.com
    Try the above Mike
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks. I got hold of John and had a nice discussion with him. I have started a new thread that should be of interest to everyone on this thread. Please jump in and make comments:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/20313-interest-co-op-unsensitized-baryta-paper-bergger.html

-Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by McPhotoX
    I suggest using your normal paper, and hand waxing/buffing the paper when it dries. You can use Dorlands Wax Medium, which can be found at any art store. You simpled put a glob on the paper, and sorta massage it in with your fingers, then take a lint free cloth or soft paper towel and buff it out like you would when waxing a car. It will dry to a hard glossy finish, and will not change to tone/color ect of the image. It also protects the surface.
    I just tried this on a cyanotype on Crane's 90lb, and it worked well! Looks nice, kind of like airdried glossy fiber, and deepens the maximum density.

Since Dorland's comes in a big tub and I wanted a small amount to try first, I got Gamblin Wax Medium instead. I was told it's about the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin