Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,844   Online: 1094

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"Tin Types" from color slides...

I've been trying to work with tin types for a while now. The biggest problems I have had are related to getting good 4x5 holders, emulsion problems, etc.

Now, I've realized that most of these could be solved if I could make the tin types in the darkroom. More control that way.

Of course this is counter to the way tin types were realized and work....

EXCEPT, I started to think....

If I had a color positive, and threw it in the enlarger, and projected it onto a prepared plate, it should, in theory work the same as if I shot the scene in my camera. Right? The emulsion will still react the same, and I will get a negative image and not a positive. Which is what I need anyway. Plus I could then fiddle with the time, etc. to get the ideal exposure since you need to UNDER expose tin types.

Is this a good plan or am I missing something REALLY obvious here?
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi there,

I think tin-types work at the U.V. end of the scale so your time may be a lot longer than the meter reading with an enlarger. Have fun with it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Are you making real collodion tintypes, or are you using the Rockland product?
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When projecting color images on black and white material, you might run into problems where the color of the transparancy is the same color as a safelight. The black and white emulsion would not respond to that color.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When projecting color images on black and white material, you might run into problems where the color of the transparancy is the same color as a safelight. The black and white emulsion would not respond to that color.
    Yes, this is true, but a similar thing would happen if you exposed the neagative to a scene with these colors in it. Exposing these under the enlarger will certainly take a while, due to low light levels and low to nonexistent UV light levels in the already dim light...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    First off, I am using the Rockland product. Secondly, even collodion tintypes were sensitive to visible light IIRC. It is a simple silver process.

And yes, any colors the emulsion isn't sensitive to would be black, just like in real life if I used the same thing in camera.

So I can't see a problem...Again, am I missing something here?
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've used Rockland's AgPlus under the enlarger recently (B&W). On my Dichro 45, I'm using about f8 @ 30 Seconds to print a B&W negative. I expect colour would be about the same.

[Have you actually got Rockland's "tintype developer" that WORKS ?????????

Out of 6 batches of developer over the past year, I have only had 2 that were any good Despite MANY correspondances with Rockland, they seem unable to turn out a reliable product - and from others I have discussed this with, it has been the same poor situation for 30 years. I have given up on their developer though I am still having fun with AgPlus! I just can't afford to throw away that much time and money . . . ]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Color slide vs live image in camera should be the same except for the color of the light source. I had some success with the Rockland TIntype kit around ten years ago and found higher speed with daylight than tungsten. (not a surprise, it's ortho, not pan) Slow speeds in the darkroom aren't the problem they are with live subjects though.
    I tried a batch of it a year or so ago, and had a bad batch of developer. When I used it originally, Rockland shipped a packet of powder that you added to Dektol to make the "tintype" developer. I have always wanted to know what that "Tintype developer additive" was. It worked beautifully. (in 1994)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Calamity Jane,
    What are you using for "tintype"(rockland) developer now? It has to be a reversal developer, correct? Any recipes?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin