Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,242   Online: 1044

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

High Precision Hand Coating Blades

This is not intended to be spam. That said, here goes...

I have just accepted delivery of 3 high precision stainless steel coating blades that allow near production quality coating in sizes of 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. The coating thickness can be a very large range limited mainly by the 'feeler' gauges that you use to set the blade gap.

These blades are based on equipment that we used in research at Eastman Kodak with some modifications to improve yield of usable prints in a home darkroom. They are intended for making paper prints. I am working on a similar set of film coating blades. They use no proprietary technology.

I have no idea what they will cost in quantity, but the ones I have cost me a bundle.

Right now, the yields of good prints are about 90% with the smaller blades, and due to a design error, only about 30% with the large blade. I am having it redesigned (it wasn't heavy enough and the end cap was not thick enough), and another one made that will coat 11x14 sheets.

The reason for this post is to find out if there is any interest in such equipment. Not spam, but a poll to see if there is anyone else out there who wants to give up the old paintbrush or foam brush and go with professional quality. I am not taking orders.

Anyhow, in the future, there may be a professional style coating block and a professional drying cabinet.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is anyone or no-one interested?

Your comments would be very appreciated. Thanks very much.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer

I have just accepted delivery of 3 high precision stainless steel coating blades that allow near production quality coating in sizes of 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. The coating thickness can be a very large range limited mainly by the 'feeler' gauges that you use to set the blade gap.

These blades are based on equipment that we used in research at Eastman Kodak with some modifications to improve yield of usable prints in a home darkroom. They are intended for making paper prints. I am working on a similar set of film coating blades. They use no proprietary technology.

I have no idea what they will cost in quantity, but the ones I have cost me a bundle.

Right now, the yields of good prints are about 90% with the smaller blades, and due to a design error, only about 30% with the large blade. I am having it redesigned (it wasn't heavy enough and the end cap was not thick enough), and another one made that will coat 11x14 sheets.

The reason for this post is to find out if there is any interest in such equipment. Not spam, but a poll to see if there is anyone else out there who wants to give up the old paintbrush or foam brush and go with professional quality. I am not taking orders.

Anyhow, in the future, there may be a professional style coating block and a professional drying cabinet.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is anyone or no-one interested?

Your comments would be very appreciated. Thanks very much.

PE

I would be interested in the film blades. I figure I have plenty on crappy negatives that I can remove the emulsion and re use the acetate to re coat if film is stop being made. Since I am working on 8x10 and 12x20 I figure a 13 inch blade would be good enough. What do you say?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Interesting--- VERY interesting. I'll have to start selling prints one of these days, with the expenses I'm willing to take to get them just a little bit better (or weirder).

So tell me: Would these blades be usable for coating glass plates?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Interested if the cost isn't outrageous.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definately interested in both the paper and the film blades.

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Need more info before I can say one way or the other.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback.

A few answers are in order. Customs sizes will skyrocket costs. These are hand tooled and will cost enough in quantity already without getting custome sizes, so your suggestions on 'standards' will help.

The blades are actually oversize by 1/4" for each smaller dimension (4, 5 and 8 inches) to allow for the bad portion at the edge to be trimmed off. Any length can be coated that the individual can handle. I coat a bead 4.25" wide on 5.5" x 14" sheets and can cut 2 4x5" sheets from that. Coating that uses 6 ml of melt or about 125 mg of silver. An 8x10 is coated on an 11x14 sheet and requires about 12 ml of melt or about 250 mg of silver.

I am working on finding good subbed paper (see the other threads and my posts on this elsewhere), and finding good subbed film. Your comments on this are also welcome.

Until I can check it out, I hesitate to use the same method to coat film and paper, but with a finely machined blade it may be possible. Stay tuned for the answer to this one.

But, as of now, film and paper blades will probably not have the same design due to the physical properties of film and paper.

RC paper behaves more like film. FB paper is in a class of its own. You can use the same blades for FB and RC, but will not be able to use film blades for FB. You might be able to film blades for RC. Paper blades might be used on film if things work out.

PE

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Umm.

Interest, yes.

Money and time and equipment and workspace, no.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Depending on cost I'm very interested.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer

PE
    Okay you've got my interest. I'll stay tuned.

Don Bryant

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin