Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,139   Online: 878

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    kerik... youve got me interested. this may seem obvious but I'll ask anyways.
    So you coat normally.... then do you lay the neg on the paper and then laydown the tape? with slight overlap onto the negative to block off the film holder edges? this seems like a great and easy way to mask rather than having to cut up a sheet of rubylith (although I guess the advantage for the mask cutout would be reuseable etc)
    so its basically tantamount to creating a mask each time you make a print using the tape?

thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    I found that Goldenrod was not completely opaque to UV for pt/pd printing. During very long exposures (don't remember exactly, but ~20 minutes in a 40 watt BL box) I would get slight density appearing in the masked borders. Using a double thickness of Goldenrod eliminated it.
    Kerik,
    Yes, I've had that in the past too, and doubling the Goldenrod worked. Now, most of my exposures are in the 2-3 minute range and that's rarely ever a problem. I'm not sure if the vinyl alternative is denser or more opaque, but the paper is just so quick and easy to work with.
    Keith Taylor
    Platinum, Photogravure and Historic Process Editions
    Website | Weblog | Google+ | Facebook
    2011 Minnesota Center for Book Arts/Jerome Foundation Mentorship Program recipient

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Masks

I did a workshop with Tillman Crane this summer and he had masks made up to
    size on plastic sheets with a black border. You could try and have a sign place make them for you. He did a run for 20 or more at a time. Maybe a little more expensive but time saving in the end.....
    Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    kerik... youve got me interested. this may seem obvious but I'll ask anyways.
    So you coat normally.... then do you lay the neg on the paper and then laydown the tape? with slight overlap onto the negative to block off the film holder edges? this seems like a great and easy way to mask rather than having to cut up a sheet of rubylith (although I guess the advantage for the mask cutout would be reuseable etc)
    so its basically tantamount to creating a mask each time you make a print using the tape?

thanks.
    Matt,

No, I tape off the area before I coat, then remove the tape before I print. This is how I get clean black borders around my images. I tape off an area slightly larger than my negative. The blue masking tape will pull up fibers on softer/textured papers.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin