Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,207   Online: 1179

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Annie, thanks for the nice comment. I try to help as much as possible.

Typically glossy papers give higher dmax than matte, but it is very hard to get glossy surfaces on plain paper. The Baryta or Titanox and RC supply the gloss. A process called calendaring helps (hot press rollers with tons of pressure).

Usually, you cannot add a gloss afterwards and increase dmax due to physical limitations. The best gloss is obtained if the smooth surface is underneath the photographic image.

A glossy baryta where the chemicals are in intimate contact with baryta might help, but IDK how it would work with Pt/Pd. With silver halide emulsions is gives a nice slick finish on both Baryta and RC. There have been comments either way regarding baryta with Pt/Pd and RC as well IIRC.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Annie,

I'm curious - what paper are you using?
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Kerik... I am using Kodak PX-3001 CD ( I think this is the older version of P-Max Fine Art) with the emulsion removed... even after all the wet time and chemical abuse of removing the emulsion when you look at the paper surface under a loop there is virtually not disruption of the paper fibers... photographic papers recycled in this manner are probably not a viable consideration for most printers but I keep returning to it because I cannot get what I am seeking from other papers I have tried so far.

I had hoped there would be some promise with the Bergger paper the Apug co-op was trying to obtain but when I checked my notes I found the 'Forte' paper base had problems... but as someone said perhaps the paper has changed.

Cheers Annie

.... let me know if you want to see my paper I can pop a few sheets in the post if you like.

Kerik... I was just wondering I know you do 'gum over' would something like 'gum under' be feasible... this would make my whole paper issue moot.

What is the surface quality of a 'gum over' print... it is lustrous?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie
    Kerik... I was just wondering I know you do 'gum over' would something like 'gum under' be feasible... this would make my whole paper issue moot.

What is the surface quality of a 'gum over' print... it is lustrous?
    The gum layers do add some luster to the surface, moreso in the shadows where the gum is thicker than in the highlights where it is thinner or absent. I've never tried this, but you could do an unpigmented, hardened gum layer over the platinum print:

Mix equal portions of potassium dichromate (10%) and a nice clean gum arabic, coat the print, dry, expose to UV light for a few minutes, soak face down in plain water for 15 or 20 minutes (change the water a few times). Let the print dry. If there is any residual dichromate, soak the print in a solution of 1% potassium metabisulfite for a couple minutes - in fact, do this anyway just to be sure all the dichromate is cleared, followed by a final 10 or 15 minute wash. This should give you an even, hardened clear coat of gum arabic over your pt print. If you don't use a nice, clear gum, this layer may have a slight tint to it, however. While this sounds like a lot of work, done on a production line basis, it could be done very quickly and efficiently. Hmmm... maybe I'm just going to have to try this myself!

It's hard to do gum under (I like that name!) because the pt sensitizer will not adhere well to the gum. You would probably need to lay down size over the gum for the sensitizer to stick. I presume you've tried Renaissance Wax as a final surface treatment? It helps some with a sheen, but it's subtle. Even more sublte is Liquitex Acrylic Gloss Medium diluted ~8:1.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Gumunder..... sounds very Wagnerian

Thank you for all your advice... I am going to try the gum over without the pigment... perhaps this is what I have been looking for all along... simple solutions are often the best! Cheers.

To Do List:

1. Smuggle some Mohawk Clear across the Canadian border

2. Smuggle some Acrysol WS-24 across the Canadian border

3. Learn Japanese so I can read the Saito & Co. website and find out if I can order some suki-urushi or do I have to go to Japan and smuggle it across the Canadian border.

..... seriously though... has anyone tried these lacquers... I have high hopes for the urushi.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin