Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,653   Online: 1104
      
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 32 of 32
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    23
    No luck with the acetic acid - my stop is citrus based, and the local shops don't have an acetic based one in stock (and I won't get anything mail order before the holiday). I think I'll give it a try with the rectified spirit. Here's the recipe that uses this...

    Albumen: 175ml
    Chloride: 4g
    Spirit: 6ml
    Water: 50ml

    Adjusted for 500ml of albumen, the quantities work out to...

    Chloride: 11g
    Spirit: 17ml
    Water: 143ml

    So, compared to the 'reference' recipe above, the salt is a bit weaker, the proportion of spirit is higher, and the distilled water seems much higher. The book later says to use a 13.5 to 14% solution of silver nitrate. It's hard to say whether the spirit should be reduced, since it may have a different effect compared to the acetic acid - I'm tempted to keep the proportion of that the same. The amount of water does seem a bit high - any comments on that? Tentative proposed recipe...


    * 500ml albumen
    * 6g ammonium chloride
    * 5g sodium chloride
    * 15ml distilled water (better to use this smaller amount?)
    * 17ml rectified spirit
    * 15g sodium citrate (or 11g to match the salt?)
    * 2 drops Kodak PhotoFlo (optional)

    Mixing the two chlorides to see if I get an in-between colour that tends towards a brown or sepia after Kodak rapid selenium toner. Also have potassium dichromate to add to the sensitiser.

    Thoughts? (I realise there's an element of suck-it-and-see - just looking to eliminate any potential disasters.)

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    23
    Just made the albumen mix. I got 300ml of albumen, so I adjusted the proportions to suit. I went with the original amount of sodium citrate on the basis that the amount of preservative is to match the amount of albumen. Forgot to add the wetting agent, but I don't think that's critical. I found that the powders struggled to dissolve in the amount of water and spirit, so I just did what I could and bunged it into the albumen. The electric whisk turned it into meringue consistency in a couple of minutes or so. Now being left to settle.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin