Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,058   Online: 966

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The Alt Processes, inspiration and APUG

Just a thank-you and congratulations to all those APUGgers that have posted images from a miriad of Alt Processes recently. The standards have been quite outstanding.

I realise that we all develop and grow as photographers but a year ago I would not have considered even contemplating these techniques. Now I catch myself thinking "that would work as a cyanotype or kallitype" etc. Next step is to match the thoughts to the process and actually do it.

You have really opened my eyes to the wonderful oppurtunities that exist in the various mediums and I am truly inspired and thankful.

Anyone else inspired by the work posted?

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Phill, if you want a little dabble in cyanotype send me your address and i'll pop two bottles of cyano solution in the post for you to try.

J
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Inspired?!! you bet ya! In fact blame all of the time, money I have spent learning about process/paper/chemistry all on APUG. Polaroid transfers were the closest thing to alt process I had done before coming to APUG. Then saw work of some of those here - Kerik, Jorge, Mateo (still the only person I know that does uranium prints) and many others and started to "wonder" about the different process. Then along came Sandy King and all that talk about Pyrocat-HD and how well it worked with Alt Process.

So to the, new to me, Crown out and bought a kit from B&S and started making prints. Then got a really nice plt/pld from Mateo in one of the group exchanges that was 5x7 and thought 'hey what a nice format' so next thing I know I have a 5x7, then another, now an 8x10 - plus all these different papers to coat, each one with it's own personality for a process. Oh, and did I mention the contact print frame not to mention building a UV light box for exposures.....

And it's ALL Seans fault...no that's not right ...... It's all APUG's fault that I have no spare time or money, because of those people that got me interested in making the best prints I can.....and never seeming to get there....but Darn this is one fun trip.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been particularly impressed by the number of alt-process postcards that have shown up in the last round of the postcard exchange, given that we send these things out as ephemera, subject to the fates of various international postal systems (okay, one participant who made carbon prints sent them in envelopes, because they're just too fragile).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I, too, have been inspiried, but I am not sure where to start. Which proccess would be easiest for someone with MF film and a conventional silver darkroom to start out with?

Peter

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoPete
    I, too, have been inspiried, but I am not sure where to start. Which proccess would be easiest for someone with MF film and a conventional silver darkroom to start out with?

Peter
    Peter, you could try several contact printing processes, cyanotypes being probably the cheapest but the colour doesn't suit all subjects. Carefully chosen MF negs contact printed can look great. Another alternative is bromoil. Check Gene Laughter's gallery http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgall...500&ppuser=760 for inspiration.

J.
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I've been particularly impressed by the number of alt-process postcards that have shown up in the last round of the postcard exchange, given that we send these things out as ephemera, subject to the fates of various international postal systems (okay, one participant who made carbon prints sent them in envelopes, because they're just too fragile).
    I agree. In fact I'm contemptating sending one of my own. Since I've only got 4x5 negs, a postcard is just about the right size!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Pete--Lots of people seem to start out with cyanotype or VanDyke brown prints. They aren't too expensive, the chemistry isn't too complicated, and the coating process doesn't seem to be too tricky.

Try it with your MF negs, and once you get the hang of it, you can make enlarged negs on ortho film.

I added a second retractable clothesline to my dark/bathroom today so I'll have more space for drying albumen paper. The albumen's been aging so I'll coat tonight.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I first found alternativephotography.com which had some great galleries to get a good idea of what can be achieved with the different processes -

but for the real info on how to do it, including the myriad alternate ways alternative processes can be achieved APUG is the winner on all accounts (especially as certain chemicals aren't so easy to obtain in non-bulk amounts in certain parts of the world)

I barely have to post anymore for technical info - its all here already, so APUG is more like a community for me

in the last six months I have done Cyanotypes, Pt/Pd, Gum Bichromate (incl, full color separations) and just recently I added Photopolymer Gravure (solarplate) to the list ...

Having gone from one of the easiest to one (or two) of the 'trickier' processes I fully recommend just jumping right on in there and learning two processes at once

Not that it sounds like your short for it but if your looking for more inspiration also check out the camera building and modification forums (; Its amazing how much money can be saved for expensive chems when you build your own gear (incl. alt process gear)

(;

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by philldresser
    Anyone else inspired by the work posted?
    Phill
    Every day! I got to APUG via the gallery and I am inspired by countless things I see. Be it a process, an experts work or someone's first attempt at something I am inspired. That last is more important than one generally thinks; I've learned that everyone has to start somewhere and while not perfection, the beauty of the process shines through!

I got my first book on pt/pl printing just a few days ago, I'm hooked!
    -Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin