Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,509   Online: 765

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Toning and Pt/Pd

I've tried toning palladium prints in Selenium, and gotten VERY mixed results. Both times I toned using the same working strength, 1:16. In the first case, it gave a beautiful result- improved dMax, and added a slight gloss to the print (I'm printing on Bergger COT320). The second time, it made the print much more matte-looking, and changed the print tone to a rather sickly-looking yellowish-brown instead of a nice chocolate. Also, in both cases, toning in Selenium seems to have killed the selenium bath after just one print. Does anyone else out there have any guidance on this, or should I just stick to other toners like gold chloride?

On a separate but related thread, how long does gold chloride stock solution last? I have some bottles of Berg's gold chloride toner I bought back more than seven years ago but haven't used. It is unopened. Is it still useable?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never tried selenium or gold chloride for pt/pd prints but tea and coffee work well. The next time you have some coffee left in your morning pot, give it a try, around 3-5 minutes, depending on the strength of the coffee and the desired effect. Constant agitation is required, though, to prevent uneven staining.

Gerhard
    [FONT=Georgia][COLOR=DimGray]Member of the Contact Printers Guild[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Toning

I've toned with gold chloride. It will cool the print. Tones will depend upon paper being used. Results are mixed at best. Gold Chloride in stock should last indefinately. My stock of GP-2 goes on and on....
    Peter

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbock
    I've never tried selenium or gold chloride for pt/pd prints but tea and coffee work well. The next time you have some coffee left in your morning pot, give it a try, around 3-5 minutes, depending on the strength of the coffee and the desired effect. Constant agitation is required, though, to prevent uneven staining.

Gerhard
    Use tea instead of coffee. Coffee is not permanent and will fade away. The tannin in tea is a permanent stain. As per Tim Rudmans toning book. ( highly recommended)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin