Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,099   Online: 941

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An update for you all.

I have run tests on the imaging flare question brought up by David Goldfarb.

In answer, the picture of the people with the automobile is the only one with the 'flare' and the 'flare' vanishes when printed on baryta paper. Whether the print is made base to base or emulsion to emulsion has no effect. I am limited in my supply of baryta paper, so this is a 'provisional' result subject to change as experiment size increases.

I have to assume it has a relationship to maximum density in the sky vs step chart, and also flare induced by being coated directly on paper fibers. It is not infectious development as far as I can determine.

In terms of repeating the ISO 100 film, I goofed in my repeat and used NaBr equal weight instead of KBr, but in spite of this the paper negative was about ISO 75, and the actual film negative was about ISO 25. (you see, we all make misteaks)

I am still working hard to produce user friendly emulsions for contact, enlarging and film speed materials.

The contact speed emulsions are essentially done and in fine shape. The enlarger speed emulsions have the speed but not quite the contrast control I want, and I am still working hard on the camera speed emulsions. I have 9 spectral sensitizing dyes for the camera speed emulsions to try out, and I have also gotten an AH dye for sharpness. So, work progresses.

PE

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good to hear.

I shudder to think what materials made this way would cost, but it sounds as if the kits to make them at home won't be prohibitive, especially as silver photography retreats into a "boutique" niche and prices rise as economies of scale are lost.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the update!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    PhotoEngineer, thanks for posting. I can see that that there is potencial hidden in that emulsion. Your posted print is from a scan of a print 85 years old, which has been turned into digital negative and reprinted in your silver chloride coated paper. I still would love to see a print from an 8x10 negative. Hopefully somebody will post. If not I would be willing to supply one one of my negatives for such treat.

PhotoEnineer, If you are going to give a workshop somewhere in the west coast I'd be interested in participating. I live too far... all the way in Hawaii, so closer is better.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would guess that my opinion would be formed by three factors:
    1). The intrinsic differences in cost, shelf life and performance between the ready made emulsion and preparing them myself.

2). The continued availabilty of fiber based paper at an affordable price

3). The investment in equipment and education to do this work.

Just as a thought. For the worker who works in car-bro this should be a wonderful way to obtain non-supercoated papers with a bromide emulsion. Perhaps, though, I have misunderstood some of the threads involved.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I would guess that my opinion would be formed by three factors:
    1). The intrinsic differences in cost, shelf life and performance between the ready made emulsion and preparing them myself.

2). The continued availabilty of fiber based paper at an affordable price

3). The investment in equipment and education to do this work.

Just as a thought. For the worker who works in car-bro this should be a wonderful way to obtain non-supercoated papers with a bromide emulsion. Perhaps, though, I have misunderstood some of the threads involved.

The carbon sheets can also be coated with good quality using the coating blades, as I demonstrated for Sandy King a month ago.

However, in your list above you miss one important factor, sorry to say.

Research in analog is dying out. Researchers are ageing. Only researchers know enough to recreate or teach the entire process. So, someday if analog dies out to a great enough extent, there will be no one to teach the technology to those who do want to learn. Now is the optimum time to pass on that information, otherwise the chance that it will be lost increases every year.

Please factor that into your thinking as well.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colivet
    PhotoEngineer, thanks for posting. I can see that that there is potencial hidden in that emulsion. Your posted print is from a scan of a print 85 years old, which has been turned into digital negative and reprinted in your silver chloride coated paper. I still would love to see a print from an 8x10 negative. Hopefully somebody will post. If not I would be willing to supply one one of my negatives for such treat.

PhotoEnineer, If you are going to give a workshop somewhere in the west coast I'd be interested in participating. I live too far... all the way in Hawaii, so closer is better.
    I have no 8x10 negatives made in-camera, as the largest camera I have is 4x5. I understand your feelings, but I have to rely on an expert at contact printing myself. Mike Whiting is such an expert IMHO, and so when he says it looks good, it must look good! I would wait until he has a satisfactory print and a method to scan it, before I would judge any further.

My next workshop is in NY in Sept.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you Ron for your response. I am already retired. From a purely selfish standpoint I am thinking in terms of the next ten years.

I have great respect for the work that you have done. I hope that this is a very rewarding project for you in both satisfaction and in paying you for your time and effort. How nice it is to have a person of your capabilities on APUG. Appreciated is your helpfulness.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Thank you Ron for your response. I am already retired. From a purely selfish standpoint I am thinking in terms of the next ten years.

I have great respect for the work that you have done. I hope that this is a very rewarding project for you in both satisfaction and in paying you for your time and effort. How nice it is to have a person of your capabilities on APUG. Appreciated is your helpfulness.
    Thanks for the comment.

The funny thing is that sometimes this is just like being back at work.

In any event, I'm planning for a possible future more than 10 years off. I'm not sure of the real timing as much as some here on apug are. Some here are so positive about the unknowable future, that "Undiscovered Country". I'm just trying to help pave a possible path for whenever it takes place.

At the same time, hand made photographs in B&W are becoming quite fashionable, command some good prices, and so the time to teach some of this appears to be now.

PE

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin