Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,422   Online: 853

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Toning Vandyke brown prints

I am reading about toning Vandyke prints and have a few questions.

I have read that you can tone them with many of the same toners that you use with Kallitypes, but I have not found any instructions for using platinum or palladium toners.

Is the ferric oxalate the reason that the platinum and palladium toners work so well with Kallitypes? Is the lack of the ferric oxylate and the presence of ferric ammonium citrate the difference?

Just curious if I can tone the Vandyke's with platinum or palladium toners, and if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just musing here.
    If you tone a Vandyke Brown, and thereby change it's colour; does it cease to be a Vandyke Brown?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Back when it was a major, mainstream printing process, it was just called "brown print". Since the colour resembled that loved by the painter van Dyke, that name was "adopted" - but not until the process was relegated to the ranks of "alternative".

Yes, you can tone Vandykes with platinum, palladium, gold, gold/lead/mercury (very popular around 1900!), or whatever.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael, check the gallery here and look for scootermm, he has several VDB that he toned with plt. Also, think that the VDB article over on unblinkingeye.com also has some information that might help. Have done a few, using Lithum Paladium (for Ziatypes) and just mixed a spoonfull of citric acid, in a liter of warm water...after it was mixed added about 6 drops of LiPd. Be aware that the print should be toned before going into the thiosulfate, so wash, tone, fix, wash-aid, wash. The print will look like it is bleaching out in the first minute or so (at least that is what I have seen), then it starts to darken back up. IIRC the average toning time is for 8-10 minutes for complete replacement of silver with plt/pld. I have had good results (color that is) by using a shorter time.

If you have some plt/pld then give it try and see if you like it..
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys. The links help a lot.

Dave...you're making my head hurt.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In my articles on kallitype at unblinkingeye eye and the alternative photo site I give formulas for gold, platinum and palladium toners. They work equally well with vandyke.

In toning the noble metal actually replaces the silver and thereby gives better permanence.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade
    I am reading about toning Vandyke prints and have a few questions.

I have read that you can tone them with many of the same toners that you use with Kallitypes, but I have not found any instructions for using platinum or palladium toners.

Is the ferric oxalate the reason that the platinum and palladium toners work so well with Kallitypes? Is the lack of the ferric oxylate and the presence of ferric ammonium citrate the difference?

Just curious if I can tone the Vandyke's with platinum or palladium toners, and if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sandy,

You're getting to the crux of my dillemma. The VDB is such an easy formula to mix, and so darn easy to develop, that I'm wondering why Pt/Pd is so attractive to many.

I can see that the pt/pd print has a different look to it, but maybe I haven't been around enough of them to see much of a difference from a well done Kallitype or VDB.

With the noble metals being replaced when they are toned, aren't you able, really, to make a pt/pd print in a bit shorter, quicker, easier and cheaper method when you tone a VDB/Kallitype instead of doing the traditional pt/pd method?

Just curious. The VDB appeals to me on so many levels and I'm having so much fun doing them that I may not do as many pt/pd prints as I had initially thought I would.

Thoughts?
    Michael Slade

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With the noble metals being replaced when they are toned, aren't you able, really, to make a pt/pd print in a bit shorter, quicker, easier and cheaper method when you tone a VDB/Kallitype instead of doing the traditional pt/pd method?
    I read somewhere that Pt-toned Kallitypes were banned from some competitions, since they were impossible to distinguish from "real" platinum prints...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. The links help a lot.

Dave...you're making my head hurt.
    Sorry; couldn’t resist it.
    I just had a thought that if you gold toned a Vandyke Brown it could become a Vandyke Blue.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin