Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,898   Online: 1124

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Trying Bromoil for the first time..need advice

I have Gene Laughter's book and most of the supplies. I made my prints and am ready to bleach. I thought I ordered ink but only found out I did something wrong in ordering online and the order did not go through so no ink. However, I have a local guy who has graphic litho ink in black and sold me one pound for a nominal amount. My question is will it work as the suggested supplier? Is there a difference? It looks like black molasses.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Rembrandt Graphics (as well as B&S) carries a good selection of lithographic inks suitable for Bromoil. Yours will probably work fine - can always add a stiffener. I just started with Bromoil myself, and have Laughter's book, as well as David Lewis' book & a DVD by Gryspeerdt. Good paper is helpful - I got some Bromoprint paper from J&C. Good luck.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Larson
    I have Gene Laughter's book and most of the supplies. I made my prints and am ready to bleach. I thought I ordered ink but only found out I did something wrong in ordering online and the order did not go through so no ink. However, I have a local guy who has graphic litho ink in black and sold me one pound for a nominal amount. My question is will it work as the suggested supplier? Is there a difference? It looks like black molasses.
    There are all kinds of inks out there. Not all of them are easy to use in Bromoil.
    Black Molasses would be a pretty soft ink - especially for someone just starting out. There are some Bromoilists that use only soft ink, but I wouldn't recommend trying it until you get used to the process.
    A good ink to start with is Graphic Chemical Crayon Black.
    You'll find it here under Lithographic inks.
    http://www.graphicchemical.com
    I'd also recommend stiffening it slightly. David Lewis sells a nice powder for stiffening inks.
    http://www.bromoil.com
    His inks are also very good.
    Good Luck - it's a beautiful process once you get the hang of it.
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Gay, don't know a thing about Bromoil. That said, just wanted to say - WAY TO GO, glad to see you trying the process because I know you will do well with it.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Larson
    I'm not an expert.
    Gene says he's not either, but don't believe him....

why don't you PM him?
    he's a member here..

http://www.apug.org/forums/members/gene_laughter/

by the way: I use aluminumhydrate as stiffener. works like flour..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Hi Gay, don't know a thing about Bromoil. That said, just wanted to say - WAY TO GO, glad to see you trying the process because I know you will do well with it.

Thanks, Mike...it all remains to be seen how this turns out. Nothing like trying something new!
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin