Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,911   Posts: 1,521,596   Online: 848

Shooter
    35mm

Polaroid SX-70/Time Zero Film Glitch

Despite the disappointing discontinuation of the Time Zero film, I've recently started up on some Time Zero manipulation projects and have had quite a bit of fun. I was hoping to stock up on the film before they run out but was a little worried about the glitch in some of the lots. From Kathleen Carr's website I found the following list:

"This glitch affects many film batches with the expiration date of 11-05, 12-05 and later, even 5- 06. The following batches are good and work fine:

12-05 expiration, lot numbers ending with 682-685
    1-06 expiration, lot numbers ending with 817-819
    5-06 expiration, lot numbers ending with 019, 020"

But what about the more recent lots? I've read somewhere that they've "fixed" the glitch but was hoping I could get a confirmation on that.

Also, I recently worked on a pack with 05/06 expiration, lot 017 which seemed to manipulate fine. I'm also looking a bunch in the store with expiration 09/06 lot ending with 381. Does anyone have any experience with those?

Thanks,

Larry

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The only place i would trust about getting the "fixed" film is Polaroid. Call them, they were limiting the number of packs one could buy at a time as they didn't have a full run.
    I wanted 4 cases at the time and could only get 40 packs.

Remember you can't freeze this film, but it can be put in the fridge.

there is a lot of discussion about this here on APUG, check the threads .
    Last edited by ann; 11-25-2005 at 08:13 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addition

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also best to store the film with the boxes flat or, second best, on end. Storage on edge (the long sides of the boxes) can lead to the chemicals settling in the pods and cause uneven development -- which will cause white areas in the print, color shifted regions, etc. And remember, the shelf life of the batteries in the film packs is, at best, no more than a couple years past the printed expiration. I've gotten Time-Zero film that was barely past date that had a dead battery, once in the past...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin