Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,561,002   Online: 1041

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, here in Connecticut, i don't think that dichromate disposal is a problem. And, if I need to dispose of it as hazardous wase, i can always put it in a jar and drop it off at one of our local "hazardous wase disposal days" at the local dump.

The dichromate is expensive, but that's ok becuase i don't think that I'll need a huge amount. The TMax reversal kit is quite costly, so I don't think so, anyway, I like the do-it-yourself nature of things ...

Isn't the sodium sulfite just Hypo Clear??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Might try some tray cleaner. Stuff works if you get the right kind. Heres a thread on the subject:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...t=tray+cleaner
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    Might try some tray cleaner. Stuff works if you get the right kind. Heres a thread on the subject:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...t=tray+cleaner
    I have 3 or 4 bottles of this I would be willing to donate.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tray cleaner won't work for B&W reversal; it's a rehalogenating bleach with incorporated fixer, essentially similar to Farmer's Reducer. Problem is, rehalogenating means you can't tell what was originally image silver from unexposed halide, and fixing both away will leave blank film.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    Tray cleaner won't work for B&W reversal; it's a rehalogenating bleach with incorporated fixer, essentially similar to Farmer's Reducer. Problem is, rehalogenating means you can't tell what was originally image silver from unexposed halide, and fixing both away will leave blank film.
    Depends on what kind of tray cleaner you get. Mine is the Kodak tray cleaner which is sodium dichromate and works quite well with B&W reversal. You have to check and see what kind of tray cleaner you have before deciding whether to use it. Not all brands will work.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The original straight tray cleaner was dichromate with sulfuric acid which is not a rehal bleach. So, it depends on the contents of the cleaner.

Dichromate and sulfuric acid was the cleaner of choice in organic chemistry labs from year 1. Wonderful stuff. When dicrhomate became a no-no, we changed to iso-propyl alcohol mixed with potassium hydroxide. This was about as good. IDK about using it with photo equipment and it certainly isn't a bleach, but it sure does clean glassware.

PE

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, cool -- Kodak tray cleaner as reversal bleach, good to know. Is this a currently available product? Is there an analogue product sold for stuff like minilab maintenance/cleaning?
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    Okay, cool -- Kodak tray cleaner as reversal bleach, good to know. Is this a currently available product? Is there an analogue product sold for stuff like minilab maintenance/cleaning?
    Donald, I was only commenting on a very old cleaner formula that we used in the lab, but I have no idea what the current formula contains when purchased from any manufacturer. AFAIK, Kodak no longer sells a tray cleaner outside of the company. Within the company, they no longer use dichromate anyhow.

We had a glassware cleaning unit that cleaned our glassware and they used special industrial strength glass and stainlesss cleaners designed to work with chemicals. I was fascinated by it, as my office was right next to their big cleaning operation. It used a huge automatic machine that looked like a restaurant dishwasher but used lots of other stuff to clean the labware. One of their solvents was DMF (Dimetyl Formamide).

I would test the dichromate tray cleaner first to see what kind of bleach it is from whatever source I got it. Or, you could always mix up your own.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is what I have:
    Name: Liquid Developer Sytem Cleaner Concentrate
    Size: 16fl oz to make 6 gal
    Ingredients: Sodium Dichromate and Sulfuric Adcid
    Cat#: 101 3176

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mrcallow, that's perfect. And 6 gallons per container is quite a lot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin