Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,222   Online: 923

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks folks. I won't be trying this in the next month, but it's good to have the info for further experimentation.

And Aggie--at some point I may send you an albumen print to run through your metal roller, just to see what it does to it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Did I miss something in the thread? Why not just fix-out regular baryata sensitized paper, wash and dry it? This can then readily be hand-coated with Pt\Pd. Or were you going to try coating it with a silver emulsion?

This has been discussed a few times in other threads.....Hope I'm not missing something here.

-R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie
    Did I miss something in the thread? Why not just fix-out regular baryata sensitized paper, wash and dry it? This can then readily be hand-coated with Pt\Pd. Or were you going to try coating it with a silver emulsion?

This has been discussed a few times in other threads.....Hope I'm not missing something here.

-R
    Reggie, you have a point but consider this. Making baryta paper or even buying it with no emulsion layer is a lot less expensive in the long run than using fixed out photographic paper.

In addition to the hassle, you have chemical usage, potential chemical retention, thicker layers, water usage to wash the fixed paper and etc. So, I guess each person would have to evaluate their own cost / 'yield' benefits.

I would find it very useful to have a few hundred sheets of the right size plain baryta papers in several surfaces for making my coatings.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I definitely don't want to have to worry about archivally washing my paper before coating it. Maybe it's okay to fix out a couple sheets of paper for experiments, but not as an ongoing proposition.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi guys:

> Making baryta paper or even buying it with no emulsion layer is a lot less expensive in the long run > than using fixed out photographic paper.

Well, it is one way of ensuring that the quality\color\weight,surface texture, etc are all right for you. It seems to me that if I could be guaranteed to get a non-sensitized paper that is exactly what I want then that would be the best solution - but is that possible? I understand there is an effort started by mikewhi to get a group together to make a large purchase of an un-sensitized paper, but is it the right color, weight, etc? I don't know how to make baryata paper and I'm not sure I'd want to with so much inexpensive high-quality paper around. If I made baryata paper, would it look as good in terms of color and surface texture as fixed-out Kodak Elite bought for next to nothing?

I have a lot of nice bright white heavy stock paper that is out of date and was cheaply purchased. I don't see a big deal in fixing it out, washing, drying it, flattening it and having it stored and ready to go. If this is what it takes to get the paper I want, then that's what I'd do. I'd even fix-out in-date paper if the image required it, and the image is the thing that matters.

I rather doubt that a single paper offered as a group purchase would satisfy everyone. The VCCB base is a little too cream colored to me - I prefer the bright white and high DMax potential in fixed out Kodak Elite, Oriental Seagul, Zone VI Brilliant, etc.

And I don't do a huge volume of hand coating fixed-out paper. Does anyone? For me, low-volume is just fine.

Having said all that, if someone can come up with a Elite-like paper that is non-sensitized and I could just buy some boxes of 22"x30" sheets of ir, count me in!

Thanks guys.

-R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reggie, I have a feeling that your wishes will come true soon.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    Reggie, I have a feeling that your wishes will come true soon.

PE
    I doubt it. I haven't been all that nice this year and you-know-who keeps that damn list. But if any of you find some under your tree, please share.

-R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie
    I doubt it. I haven't been all that nice this year and you-know-who keeps that damn list. But if any of you find some under your tree, please share.

-R
    Reggie, stand by for the guy in the red suit to lay a nice gift on you in spite of everything!

I hear that something is about to bear fruit.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin