Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,873   Online: 811

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Printing high contrast negative

Hello again,

Is there any way to print negatives that are about 1-2 stops (DR around 200) more than traditional Pt/pd can handle? I have several negatives in this range and find them too contrasty. Thanks again.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    POP can handle "anything", and needs more contrasty negatives than just about anything else. VDB is another way - and then you could Pt-tone afterwards to make a print indistinguishable from a "real" Platinotype.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    POP or albumen or any kind of printing-out process (there are POP versions of pt/pd, aren't there?) would be a possibility, since they are self-masking. You could also make a contrast mask with ortho film. I haven't experimented with proportional reducers, but that would be another possibility.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eggshell
    Hello again,

Is there any way to print negatives that are about 1-2 stops (DR around 200) more than traditional Pt/pd can handle? I have several negatives in this range and find them too contrasty. Thanks again.

Make a contrast reduction mask. Try to have the peak density of the mask be .25 if you print Pt-pd or Azo. If you want to print silver have the mask peak density around .65 to .75.

The contrast reduction mask will compress the shadow values upward.

The mask and negative are printed in register.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    (there are POP versions of pt/pd, aren't there?)
    This is what ziatype is.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Okay I admit I know nothing about masking. I will have to read up more about it. Thanks again.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin