Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,055   Online: 804

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Okay! Remember the print I want to re-clear? I recreated the same condition as the processed print on a new test strip: Develop an unexposed test strip, rinse, clear, rinse, clear, dry the strip with an anticipated stain.

I tried re-clearing this stained strip using the method outlined above (even at 110F). Outcome: It didn't clear too well. Not yellow stains, more like water mark stain. What's trapping the stain? Thanks again.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eggshell
    Okay! Remember the print I want to re-clear? I recreated the same condition as the processed print on a new test strip: Develop an unexposed test strip, rinse, clear, rinse, clear, dry the strip with an anticipated stain.

I tried re-clearing this stained strip using the method outlined above (even at 110F). Outcome: It didn't clear too well. Not yellow stains, more like water mark stain. What's trapping the stain? Thanks again.
    Might be fogging instead of a clearing problem.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wm blunt
    Might be fogging instead of a clearing problem.
    Wm, do you mean my ferric oxalate might have turned bad? It's 2 months old. Refrigerated when not in use. Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wm, do you mean my ferric oxalate might have turned bad? It's 2 months old. Refrigerated when not in use. Thanks.
    2 months old is not too old for FO. Are you using the evil #2 FO in your mix or not? If you are not using the restrainer sometimes you get fogging. You might want to add one drop to avoid fogging.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    2 months old is not too old for FO. Are you using the evil #2 FO in your mix or not? If you are not using the restrainer sometimes you get fogging. You might want to add one drop to avoid fogging.
    Hi Jorge, I don't use #2 FO. I've read about the fogging. Maybe that's the problem. But somewhere it doesn't add up. My earlier test without water rinse in between developer & clearing bath as instructed by Clay, cleared effectively. Hm...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Jorge, I don't use #2 FO. I've read about the fogging. Maybe that's the problem. But somewhere it doesn't add up. My earlier test without water rinse in between developer & clearing bath as instructed by Clay, cleared effectively. Hm...
    I hate to tell you this but this is the nature of the beast. There for a while I was getting this awful gray tone where the negative was masked, it would not clear and it was clearly fog, although I could never determine where it came from. Try with a single drop of #2 and see if it goes away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fog will be gray colored - like a very faint highlight. Uncleared ferric will be yellowish brown. For what it's worth, I have never successfully cleared an insufficiently cleared print after it has been dried. I think it just probably got locked in the first time through your process. I would still dispense with the tap water rinse after development, and go with the long soak in the developer in lieu of the tap water step.. I suspect you may have a water pH issue similar to mine.

As an aside, the same pH issue also makes my gum prints get loads of dichromate staining. Kerik uses essentially the same process I do, but with a different tap water source, and he never gets dichromate staining. Cherchez l'eau.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Again, it's probably related to our local water supplies. Because I have found old prints that had some yellowing in masked borders. I re-cleared them using citric followed by HCA and the yellow went away. Moral of the story: you gotta try it in your own shop before you can be sure things are working properly.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2013 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thank you all for your wonderful insight. It has been great learning from you guys. I have no doubt that Clay is correct about my water supply. Now I can move on to make new prints (without water rinse). I'll also do a fog test as Jorge suggested. Thanks to Kerik too. Good day everyone.

I use 25ml/L of a product named "Lime Away". It clears, in my experience, much better than citric acid and hypo clearing agent. Three baths of 4-5 min. interspaced with water washes.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin