Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,923   Posts: 1,584,988   Online: 1108

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    It still amazes me why jaw-dropping stereo photography remains some kind of byproduct.

I stumbled in it with a wooden board and my 35mm Pentax, got me a Russian set including a camera and a projector but they both seemed Junk.

Then I discovered my holy grail : Viewmaster.
    I bought the European camera model, still one of the most amazing camera's I know. It uses a "sun or clouds" dial that can be applied in 3 possible ways according to the color saturation of your subject (!). As a hint there are 3 differently saturated color charts on the camera front. On the other hand you can set EV and ISO values as well. The dials also serve as an aid for fill-in flash or plain flashlight in low light conditions.
    The film is transported diagonally in order to use its complete surface. You can shoot about 80 pairs on a 36 exposure film.
    And it has Rodenstock lenses.

It requires some patience to cut out the results with the perforator and a book for collecting stamps to keep all those mini slides separated.

I don't use it too frequently because of that but I have about 30 reels framed with scenes shot over the last 10 years. When I load them in the viewer or my stereomatic projector it feels like travelling in time.

Cheers
    Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been collecting stereocards in a small way for many years, and got myself a Wirgin stereo camera a while ago. That became less and less reliable so I now have a Realist. I've just started to use an SL 66 on a slide bar for landscapes. I make stereocards to fit in a Holmes viewer.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Pentax makes an adapter that fits on most 50mm lenses. The adapter creates two side by side images on a single 35mm neg. I have the prints enlarged at my local drug store to 5x7 and view them on an old wooden steroviewer.

The pentax adapter comes with a viewing device to view 35mm slides made with the adapter. Personally, I like the prints better.

The adapter is pretty expensive new, but used ones show up on that auction site fairly often.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails apug upload.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    There is a prism mount that you can buy for most lenses that produces a split stereo pair onto the film. It occupies one frame.

A friend of mine has one and digitizes his stereo negs using a special scanner program for them, then projects them on his large flat screen TV for viewing. I have not seen it, but he says that it makes the wall look like a window.

His Nikon looks rather spectacular with this huge double prism device mounted on the front of the lens.

PE
    There are a couple out there, but only one that you can buy new; the Loreo stereo lens-in-a-cap. The older Pentax splitter is pretty cool, but goes for a fair chunk of change these days.

- Randy

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Iloca Stereo Camera

Recently I had the opportunity to see slides made with an Iloca stereo cam, and the images were stunning...family and party shots from the 50's shot on Kodachrome. I showed them to the students in my photo workshop and the kids were really impressed too. One of them actually said, "This is better than video..."

The camera belongs to a friend of mine she would like to get it repaired and start using it again. The shutter release is stuck from sitting on a shelf for the last 20 years, but otherwise it appears to be in great shape.

Anyone know where to get repairs on these cameras?

Thanks!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I had not shot stereo for many years. This thread got my interest rekindled. Two weeks ago I went to Paris for a museum tour with my son (an art major in college.) I left the medium format gear at home and struck out with my Canon AE1, purchased when I was in high school 30 years ago, with the Pentax adapter on the front. What fun. I have hundreds (maybe thousands) of medium format negs of Paris taken over the years. It was refreshing to go back to a place and photograph it with new eyes.

The prints are stunning. I showed the prints in a wooden stero adapter to those in my dinner club, they were amazed. A few didn't know it was still possible to create stereo images. I had great fun because I wasn't looking for the "great shot" to round out my older negs. I was just shooting. Even the tired cliche shots of the monuments look fresh in stereo.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Allen

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you like stereographs, there are exchange groups and study groups where a folio is mailed from member to member and each person changes their cards each time it visits them and makes comments of the views of others. If you are interested, let me know and I can give you contact info.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one of those Pentax Stereo outfits with the viewer... it's unused as far as I know, and was thinking of throwing it on ebay. PM me if you are interested before I do that.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been using a stereo realist for 20 years. I've got boxes of slides. I like the realist because it is so simple and tough. Not much can break on these cameras and if it does you can fix it easily.

Cutting and mounting the slides can be fun. I make the kids help and we turn it into a family night, cutting and viewing slides.

There are a lot of gizmoes you can buy. Mostly a good slide cutter and a decent viewer are needed. I have a couple of viewers, the best is a realist. But kodak and TDC work well too.

I tried a couple other formats but I really think the Stereo Realist is the best system for the buck.

Now the funny thing is...I'm blind in one eye. I can't see in stereo! But everyone tells me it is very cool.

here's a good website and Dr. T's ebay store
    http://www.drt-3d.com/
    http://stores.ebay.com/DrT-3d

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lowenburg

The Dr. T website might have a repair manual for that camera or he does repairs also. Dr. T is the certo6 of stereo cameras.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin