Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,213   Online: 704

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Im in class at MCAD with a cat who does stereo with a pair of AE1's on a rail. Portraiture, landscapes, infrared -- all of it just stunning. But he was saying he's had the best luck using two SLRs on a rail and a double plunger rather than a stereo camera, fwiw.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino
    Im in class at MCAD with a cat who does stereo with a pair of AE1's on a rail. Portraiture, landscapes, infrared -- all of it just stunning. But he was saying he's had the best luck using two SLRs on a rail and a double plunger rather than a stereo camera, fwiw.
    As long as you can keep the shutters in close enough sych for the subject, you will be fine using two cameras. Fast movin subjects can be a pain though... The benefit of a stereo camera is that the shutters are very well synched, sometimes even being one physical device for both lenses.

For two camera work, there are split cable releases out there that allow you to trip two SLRs at once, but I have not used one. You can even use one standard camera and move it to the side a bit (this is called the cha-cha method) but you often get rotational problems or variable separation, which can cause some viewing discomfort. Manfroto makes a couple of slide bars, which are really designed for macro work, but work well as a slide bar for stereo work.

- Randy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    A few years ago while on a day long, bus trip, I traveled with a Japanese man with a Nikon stereo camera. I had never seen anything like it and have not seen one since. It was the basic shape of a Nikon F3, but the body was double wide. It had two zoom lenses which were calibrated together. Single view finder.

This is probably the ultimate in 35mm stereo. Is anyone familiar with this camera? It is possible it was custom built. It could only be available in Japan. I would have asked him, but he didn't speak English and I don't speak Japanese.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are quite a few custom built stereo cameras around. RBT do conversions, and I have seen a comprehensive set of instructions for joining two Nikon FEs together, but I can't find the link to that right now.

Is there enough interest to have an APUG stereocard swap, I wonder?

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    ... Is there enough interest to have an APUG stereocard swap, I wonder?

Best,
    Helen
    I'm in two exchanges outside APUG so I would be interested doing one here...

- Randy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Informal Stereograph Exchange

Come to think of it, I'll be making cards up sometime in the next month or so for one of the exchanges that I'm in outside APUG. If anyone wants one, PM me your address and I'll send one to you when I get them made up. If you want, you can send one back whenever the mood suits you. I can help you get started if your interested - it's really quite straight forward.

- Randy

Shooter
    35mm
    OT maybe, but Horseman is working on a new stereo camera based on the Xpan style chassis and two lens. Should be very interesting even if probably very expensive. So stereo photography is rather far from dead.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Anyone out there use a 5x8 (inch) stereo camera? I see them occasionally on eBay.

A few years ago the Metropolitan Museum in NY had an exhibit of early French Daguerreotypes, included were three or four Daguerreotype stereos (not sure about the size) in large wooden viewers. The affect was breathtaking; astounding depth and clarity with that Daguerreian etherealness. Amazing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Motamedi
    Anyone out there use a 5x8 (inch) stereo camera? I see them occasionally on eBay.
    Is this a wooden camera? I'm not familiar with the description.

- Randy

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Motamedi
    Next time you see one, let me know. I have some fine old plate holders which may be for one of these - I figured I might make a panoramic plate camera around them. But film is more convenient, and can be cut to size with simple household implements (I can do 6x30cm panoramas now - just finished putting a universal lens mount on the 24x30cm camera). And the holders need glass plates, which are slid in from the end...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin