Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,961   Online: 777

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Stereoscopic photography

Some years ago I experimented with stereo photography, using 2 cameras (Olympus OM10s) mounted on a bar (part of an old flash bracket). I used colour slide film I used a pair of 'single-eye' type viewers, again mounted on a bar so the distance between them could be varied for different heads!. The results were amazing! I find some of the slide-pairs the other day while looking for something else and it's inspired me to have another go.

Has anybody else out there trie 3D photography and if so what gear/film did you use?

Rob

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have been shooting stereo with stereo cameras for about 4 years now. If you are interested in it, I would suggest a good first camera is the Stereo Realist. There is a fantastic repair guy for the realist out there as well as many stereo specific groups. Just beware, many stereo people are heavily into digital these days. If you would like specifics, just let me know.

I shoot both E-6 and print, mount my own slides, and create my own stereographs. It is easy to do and a lot of fun.

-Randy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh! I forgot to mention that there is a plethora of viewing gear out there as well, for both slide and print.

- Randy

Shooter
    127 Format
    I've run a few films through my coronet stereo camera. They're cheap and fun, though the quality is pretty poor. There are some scans on my website (under cameras/coront/stereo) The 127 neg is a nice size to contact print for stereo viewing...

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    I've run a few films through my coronet stereo camera. They're cheap and fun, though the quality is pretty poor. There are some scans on my website (under cameras/coront/stereo) The 127 neg is a nice size to contact print for stereo viewing...

Ian
    For MF stereo, the Sputnik is supposed to be not bad. It comes with the opportunity <cough> to do some customization or you can keep the holga-esque light leaks, and it makes 6x6 negs! Or you could do the aformentioned slide bar, or cha-cha technique, with a standard MF camera. My M645 does nice work with non-moving subjects when used with a slide bar.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one of the original Kodak Stereo cameras with viewer. The camera is a beautiful piece of work from the 50s. A lot of work was done on stereo at EK, and they published a few books on the topic in the 50s and 60s.

One of the leading gurus, if you can find his work, was Pete Chiesa. He made many presentations at EK on his stereo work and co-authored a how-to book published by EK.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I ran across this site a while back when considering stereo photography with a single camera/lens. http://www.stereoscopy.com/jasper/index.html
    There are obviously limits to what you can do this way, but the hardware here looks well made and reasonably priced. I haven't used it, just thought it looked like good gear for the price.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a prism mount that you can buy for most lenses that produces a split stereo pair onto the film. It occupies one frame.

A friend of mine has one and digitizes his stereo negs using a special scanner program for them, then projects them on his large flat screen TV for viewing. I have not seen it, but he says that it makes the wall look like a window.

His Nikon looks rather spectacular with this huge double prism device mounted on the front of the lens.

PE

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh yes...

Many years ago, I did some "scientific" work. I would take one picture, move my weight to the other leg, and do another one. Oddly enough it turned out to be useful!

I also have a "Stereo Realist". I still haven't finished the first film, so I have no idea how to print it. But I will find out!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I friend and I set up two video cameras on top of two monitors a few feet away - sure is interesting seeing yourself in 3D the right way round (as opposed to inverted as you are in a mirror) - not to mention all pixelated and cross eyed
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin