Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,711   Online: 885

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sandy,

Thanks for the tips. I'm trying to boost the RH in an attempt to get a good print out of a semi-flat negative. It's worked well on the small test-prints I've done. The larger prints that are 12x20 negatives, I don't have a room I can coat in that I can both control the humidity and have a space large enough for the sheet of paper I'm using.

So...it's always a trade-off. Maybe I'd better spend some time refining the negatives next time eh?

FWIW...the 6ml of solution that I thought would be a problem with the 'puddling', doesn't seem to be bronzing and it's washing away. Next time I coat I'll brush until the puddles get absorbed and see how that changes anything.

EDIT: Just did a full-size print. I don't like the puddlng. I'll make sure that I brush till it's absorbed. The 'non-issue' was on the edge of the test prints, clearly the real print was much more 'puddly'.
    Last edited by Michael Slade; 12-07-2007 at 05:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't understand; if you have puddles, you obviously have way too much solution; so cut it back by half and try again maybe ? You are not trying to soak the paper completely, just coat it... I usualy put just enough per coat so that once I have finished brushing it (4 or 5 passes of vertical/horinzontal) the coat is perfectly even and the brush is getting 'dry', and I just have to stand the paper 1 minute before I apply the second coat with slightly less solution.
    Then another minute stand, a couple minutes of hair dryer and it's ready to expose. Strangely, contrary to everything I read, the 'hot/warm' hair dryer works a lot better than the 'cold'; seems to me to 'hot' air steams some of the moisture of the solution into the paper and I get better contrast that way...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The last batch I did I used 5ml for each coating. Seems to be about right. I don't think cutting it down by half, 6 down to 3, would give me enough liquid to spread around (12x20).

5 worked well...second coat going on just as first coat is dry to the touch.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade View Post

So...it's always a trade-off. Maybe I'd better spend some time refining the negatives next time eh?
    With VDB the negative makes all the difference. There is really no way to make a great print unless the negative has a very long DR. I like about log 2.5, or even slightly more.

However, there is also no way to get maximum Dmax from the process unless you are working in a room with fairly high RH, above 50% for sure, and above 60% if you can get there. Alternatively, you can humidify the paper in some type of small tent before coating, and then dry the paper in the same environment.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had not heard that drying the paper with a high RH made a difference in the Dmax. I am quite happy with how dark the blacks are going.

Consider that my coating/processing area is seperate from the exposure unit, which is seperate from my drying area...all within my home though. I do not know if I can control RH effectively within the entire house. I am considering adding a humidifier to my HVAC system to see if I can't raise it a bit higher
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade View Post
    I had not heard that drying the paper with a high RH made a difference in the Dmax. I am quite happy with how dark the blacks are going.

Consider that my coating/processing area is seperate from the exposure unit, which is seperate from my drying area...all within my home though. I do not know if I can control RH effectively within the entire house. I am considering adding a humidifier to my HVAC system to see if I can't raise it a bit higher
    Have you measured the reflective Dmax of your prints? You should be able to get a Dmax of at least log 1.45, and with optimum conditions and double coating, perhaps as high as log 1.55.

Assuming a suitable paper of course.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll pull out the densitomiter today. I used Arches Platine, which I have heard is a fairly suitable paper.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doing some more 12x20's...have a weird red streak through the print. Hair-dryer dried the print, and the red streak is still there.

Thinking about a re-wash/re-fix. Weird.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I blogged my make-shift process HERE.

The weird red-streak is 90% gone. I wonder what it is.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Michael, those images look great from the digisnaps.

I can relate to your makeshift process and working conditions.
    I live in a tiny apt... well actually I live in a darkroom that doubles as a living space

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin