Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,858   Online: 831
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: tapioca starch

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    234

    tapioca starch

    Anybody using or heard of an albumen formula using tapioca starch? I dont know how much of it goes where but the source was reliable but vanished quickly into a crowd. Tapioca starch??????
    JackB

  2. #2
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,485
    Images
    20
    Reilly discusses the use of wheat starch as an archival mounting method for albumen in his book at albumen.stanford.net, but I'm not sure about tapioca.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  3. #3
    garysamson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    227
    Images
    28
    David,
    Zoe Zimmerman has developed a formula for matte albumen prints which is quite beautiful but she would not give up the ingredients when I asked her at her workshop which I attended a couple of years ago. Some have speculated that her albumen solution includes tapioca starch.
    Gary

  4. #4
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,485
    Images
    20
    Interesting. Come to think of it, I've heard of cornstarch used to make matte albumen prints, but not tapioca.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  5. #5
    Aggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    So. Utah
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,925
    Images
    6
    Tapioca is a very transparent thickening agent when cooked. Rice, and corn starch will be more of a opaque quality. some other types that might also work are agar-agar, and arrowroot. What I find interesting is that they have similar qualities to gelatine. Is this used as a treatment to precoat the paper? Or is it mixed in with the sensitizer?
    Non Digital Diva

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    234

    tapioca

    Quote Originally Posted by garysamson
    David,
    Zoe Zimmerman has developed a formula for matte albumen prints which is quite beautiful but she would not give up the ingredients when I asked her at her workshop which I attended a couple of years ago. Some have speculated that her albumen solution includes tapioca starch.
    Gary
    Gary,
    It was Zoe Zimmerman who told me about the tapioca starch. I assume it goes in the albumen. Experiments are in order but where do you get tapioca starch?
    Jack B

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    234

    pre coat

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Tapioca is a very transparent thickening agent when cooked. Rice, and corn starch will be more of a opaque quality. some other types that might also work are agar-agar, and arrowroot. What I find interesting is that they have similar qualities to gelatine. Is this used as a treatment to precoat the paper? Or is it mixed in with the sensitizer?
    Aggie,
    I don't know where it goes but I'm thinking that if it's purpose is to make the print more matte then it probably is used to pre coat the paper. Agree or disagree?
    Jack

  8. #8
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,485
    Images
    20
    Somewhere on albumen.stanford.edu, there is some info on where the cornstarch goes to make a matte albumen print, and I'd guess the tapioca starch would go in the same place. I'd think it would be mixed with the albumen.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  9. #9
    Donald Qualls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,845
    Quote Originally Posted by severian
    Experiments are in order but where do you get tapioca starch?
    Any grocery store, near the pudding mixes. It comes in beads, which wouldn't be very suitable, but I'd expect a few seconds in a blender at high speed would convert the beads into a fine dust that would disperse or dissolve well in water. If you search around in a larger store, you might actually find tapioca starch in powder form as well, since it's used in that form in most puddings that don't have the distinctive bead texture of classic tapioca pudding.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by severian
    Aggie,
    I don't know where it goes but I'm thinking that if it's purpose is to make the print more matte then it probably is used to pre coat the paper. Agree or disagree?
    Jack
    Hi everyone, n00b here.

    The tapioca, my guess, is used to size the paper as in gum printing. It may help the albumen adhere better to the paper base so that doesn't just wash away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin