Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,525   Posts: 1,572,353   Online: 1000

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, all I know is that the salt I use with nothing added works great. After 4 years of using it without problems I am pretty confident it has nothing else but salt in the box.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Well, all I know is that the salt I use with nothing added works great. After 4 years of using it without problems I am pretty confident it has nothing else but salt in the box.....
    Frankly Jorge, that is my motto as well.

If it works, use it.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used both regular table salt and non-iodized salt for making sodium palladium chloride. They both work just fine.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Id be VERY interested in going in on a group order.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks to all. I'm definately interested in a group purchase.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    If you want to be sure you have pure sodium chloride at a low price, buy Kosher Salt in the supermarket.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel
    If you want to be sure you have pure sodium chloride at a low price, buy Kosher Salt in the supermarket.
    That is probably the best bet!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Group purcahse of P.C.

Hi everyone:

I just posted this message in the other thread. Ray and I are oraganizing a group purchase of Palladium Chloride. Let us know how much you would like to order:

-----
    I contacted both Artcraft and Engelhard today and got price quote. Here's the deal:

Artcraft
    250-500g: $8.80/g
    1 kg: $8.30/g

Engelhard
    250g: $8.00
    500g: $7.75
    1 kg: $7.50

I am asking a rep from Engelhard about other costs associated with a purchase. I did not contact the other place overseas since I am very reluctant to send a huge amount of money to overseas where I cannot speak the language and cannot get hold of them locally. Plus, there is 20% tax for importing Palladium if you do it legitimately. So the difference will not be worth taking a risk (not to mention, I do not want to take a risk with other people's money).

Also, I am hoping everyone would agree on a minimum order of 25 grams. That way, we can ask them to pack individually when we order. I would assume anyone who is interested in this purchase would be OK with this.

Let us know how much you would like to order. Again the more the better! Hope to hear from you soon.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I promise this will be the last question.

I search in vain for Kosher Salt. I found Maldon Sea Salt. It says Pure Flakey Crystals, No Additive. It doesn't mention if it's iodized or not. Do you think this is okay?

Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eggshell
    Hello all,

I am soon planning on mixing my own Palladium Sol. 3. Since it would be an expensive lesson if I mess it up, please help me with these questions:-

1. Where can I get the best price for Palladium Chloride?
    2. Since 50ml sol. 3 is a relatively small amount to mix, is there a cause for concern on the accurate measurements of the chemicals & water?
    3. Does the Palladium Chloride I buy come in a little brown dropper bottle?
    4. Can I use common table salt for sodium chloride?
    5. Is the water temperature critical during mixing and does the mixtures dissolve easily?

Once again, thanks for the help.
    1. You have gotten several answer there that are good, but I have always been able to order from Engelhard without having to order 25 or 50 g. Their order criteria is based on dollars spent. If you are ordering platinum or gold as well, there would be no need to bulk buy.

2. If you buy from Engelhard the weight they send will be accurate, so the only unknown would be your salt. Unless you really mess up the ratio of 5 grams of salt (that is NaCl) to 3.5 g PdCl2, you should experience no problems. Too little salt and your Palladium will not be able to go into solution, Too much and you can see it crystallize as solid particles and you will experience a speed change. I have seen it mixed with almost twice the slat required and make fine prints.

3) If you buy from Engelhard it will come in frosted plastic bottles, sealed with tape and a wax seal. Brown bottles can be purcahsed from Pharmacies, and Health Food stores in the health and beauty area; with or without droppers.

4) Common table salt will work fine, but how expensive is good clean NaCl from Artcraft really? If you are buying anything else from Mike pick some up, if not DON'T sweat it.

5) to mix it, start by adding your salt to warm water and dissolve it first. Then add you PdCl2 to it. Salt will easily dissolve in water but PdCl2 will not, add it to you salt solution. Warm is good , hot is not really needed since you use it far below saturation. It should sit over night to reach full equilibrium

PD #3 implies a B&S nomenclature,and a specific weight to volume.

Have fun.

Eric

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin