Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,885   Posts: 1,520,577   Online: 1023
      
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52
  1. #31
    donbga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,056
    Quote Originally Posted by EricNeilsen
    1. Unless you really mess up the ratio of 5 grams of salt (that is NaCl) to 3.5 g PdCl2, you should experience no problems.
    Eric,

    How much water is used for this ratio?

    Thanks,

    Don Bryant

  2. #32
    Shinnya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    554
    Images
    27
    Don,

    I mixed PC and SC to 275ml (55ml x 5) of distilled water. The total is about 300ml. 55ml of water per 5g of PC and 3.5g of SC. Happy printing!

    Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

  3. #33
    donbga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Posts
    2,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinnya
    Don,

    I mixed PC and SC to 275ml (55ml x 5) of distilled water. The total is about 300ml. 55ml of water per 5g of PC and 3.5g of SC. Happy printing!

    Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    Thanks! This sounds like the Arentz ratio.

    Don

  4. #34
    Shinnya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    554
    Images
    27
    Don,

    I just assumed that was what you are looking for. Yes it is 15% solution. I am not quite sure how to make 20% solution though. But mine works fine so far.

    Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi


    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Thanks! This sounds like the Arentz ratio.

    Don
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    155
    5) to mix it, start by adding your salt to warm water and dissolve it first. Then add you PdCl2 to it. Salt will easily dissolve in water but PdCl2 will not, add it to you salt solution. Warm is good , hot is not really needed since you use it far below saturation. It should sit over night to reach full equilibrium

    Eric[/QUOTE]

    Thanks Eric. That's exactly how I mixed mine yesterday. Today I printed with the newly mixed sol.3. I noticed a slight increase in printing speed (about 10% faster). But I got a little shock noticing I'm getting fog and a little low contrast on the print. I realised it could be due to my 6 month old F.O. Sol. no. 2 that's causing the fog. The film edge didn't clear too well. It has a colourless stain like watermark. That's fog, isn't it? Will print again with new Sol. 2 tomorrow. It's a learning experience!

    Thanks again Eric.

  6. #36
    EricNeilsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Eric,

    How much water is used for this ratio?

    Thanks,

    Don Bryant
    Don, The gram ratio of NaCl to PdCl2 is 5g/3.5g, but the mole ratio is 2:1. The amount of water added will change the molar concentration of the solution. I mix mine to make 40ml. I belive that B&S list that same amount to make 55ml. At the concentration I mix it is a .7M solution , B&S is lower. Since there was some question as to the purity of the salt one might get from the store such as Mortons, for example where there may be some weight that is NOT NaCl, an error on the side of slightly more weight is GOOD. THat assure you that you have enough NaCl to complete the complex solution.

    I haven't seen where a little NaCl will have serious adverse effect; just a lose of print speed.

    Eric

  7. #37
    EricNeilsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by EricNeilsen
    Don, The gram ratio of NaCl to PdCl2 is 5g/3.5g, but the mole ratio is 2:1. The amount of water added will change the molar concentration of the solution. I mix mine to make 40ml. I belive that B&S list that same amount to make 55ml. At the concentration I mix it is a .7M solution , B&S is lower. Since there was some question as to the purity of the salt one might get from the store such as Mortons, for example where there may be some weight that is NOT NaCl, an error on the side of slightly more weight is GOOD. THat assure you that you have enough NaCl to complete the complex solution.

    I haven't seen where a little NaCl will have serious adverse effect; just a lose of print speed.

    Eric
    Oh My, Yes that is right. 5 g PdCl to 3.5 NaCl. Damn, I should have just cut and pasted out of my book. I really need to download and reread these little windows. Goosh, maybe that is how Tom Millea's book got back asswards?

  8. #38
    EricNeilsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by eggshell
    5) to mix it, start by adding your salt to warm water and dissolve it first. Then add you PdCl2 to it. Salt will easily dissolve in water but PdCl2 will not, add it to you salt solution. Warm is good , hot is not really needed since you use it far below saturation. It should sit over night to reach full equilibrium

    Eric
    Thanks Eric. That's exactly how I mixed mine yesterday. Today I printed with the newly mixed sol.3. I noticed a slight increase in printing speed (about 10% faster). But I got a little shock noticing Iamb getting fog and a little low contrast on the print. I realised it could be due to my 6 month old F.O. Sol. no. 2 that's causing the fog. The film edge didn't clear too well. It has a colourless stain like watermark. That's fog, isn't it? Will print again with new Sol. 2 tomorrow. It's a learning experience!

    Thanks again Eric.[/QUOTE]


    If you are getting fog, that should be quickly remedied by using some 3% H2O2. If you are printing 8x10's or smaller with very little or no platinum, 1 drop of diluted 3% should give you clean highlights. If you have some Potassium Ferricyanide, mix a small amount in small distilled water and add a drop of your ferric. If it shows a blue precipitate, your ferric has much ferrous in it. Brown is the color it should show if it is good.

  9. #39
    EricNeilsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    67
    PALLADIUM SALTS

    Palladium Chloride (Sodium Tetrachloropalladite)
    (a .70 molar solution)

    To prepare the palladium solution, add 3.5 grams of sodium chloride to 35ml of warm distilled water (90°F). Now add 5 grams of palladium chloride to that solution. You should then add water to bring the total volume to 40ml. This solution, when stored in a brown bottle and has an indefinite shelf life. Another option is to use Sodium tetrachloropalladite. This palladium salt already has the NaCl2 added. If you use this chemical, mix 8.5 grams with 40ml of warm distilled water (90 F).\


    The weaker 15% solution is balanced for B&S weaker solution of FO. I mix mine strong than that supplied by Dick.

    Again sorry for my misplaced 5 and 3.5 in earlier post.

    Eric

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by EricNeilsen

    If you are getting fog, that should be quickly remedied by using some 3% H2O2. If you are printing 8x10's or smaller with very little or no platinum, 1 drop of diluted 3% should give you clean highlights. If you have some Potassium Ferricyanide, mix a small amount in small distilled water and add a drop of your ferric. If it shows a blue precipitate, your ferric has much ferrous in it. Brown is the color it should show if it is good.
    Eric,

    Thanks again. That explaination is a little too quick for my sticky brain. What is H202? Do you mean to add 3% H202 to the mixed solution before pouring onto the paper for brushing?

    As I mentioned yesterday, the masked area left me with a colourless watermark-like stain. Again, the stain appears today even with newly mixed Sol. 2. So I did a test by applying a drop of Ferric Oxalate No 1 and a drop of No 2 on separate piece of paper. Developed & clear as I usually would. NO STAIN! My PO should be okay. My brush is thoroughly wash with HCA. Can't be that my coating area is too bright. The only thing I can think of that could go wrong is my palladium sol.3. I remember in earlier thread that Jorge had the same fog problem before and couldn't nail down where the fault was. Is my Palladium Sol.3 messed-up?

    Appreciate your kind response.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin