Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,686   Online: 925

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Mixing Palladium Sol. 3

Hello all,

I am soon planning on mixing my own Palladium Sol. 3. Since it would be an expensive lesson if I mess it up, please help me with these questions:-

1. Where can I get the best price for Palladium Chloride?
    2. Since 50ml sol. 3 is a relatively small amount to mix, is there a cause for concern on the accurate measurements of the chemicals & water?
    3. Does the Palladium Chloride I buy come in a little brown dropper bottle?
    4. Can I use common table salt for sodium chloride?
    5. Is the water temperature critical during mixing and does the mixtures dissolve easily?

Once again, thanks for the help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1. Englehard in S.C.
    2. Just be careful. I'd be surprised if Englehard will want to sell it in a quantity less than 25-50g, which will make 300-600ml.
    3. It is a reddish brown powder with the consistency of corn starch
    4. No. Use un-iodized salt.
    5. Hot distilled water (120 deg F.) will help it dissolve readily. It usually takes 30-60 minutes for me to get it in solution.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Clay answered all, for the salt go to the supermarket and buy "canning and pickling" salt, which is just plain salt with no additives. A box will last you a lifetime, I still have the one I bought in the US 5 years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is good information, have been considering mixing my own as well. The question that I have, is what quantity should you be mixing before it is really a cost reduction vs say B&S? From what I have seen, the 100ml bottle of LiPd is priced about right for the quantity of metal involved. Also, curious how much metal do you guys use in a set period of time (say per year)?

TIA
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think Clay has answered this well. My experience is that you need to buy about 250 grams before the price gets to be a big savings. In the past I have been able to write to other printers and get a group together to make a larger buy, with out too much trouble. . I usually mix up 100 grams at a time and it makes around 1100 ml of #3.

Ray Bidegain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Price of P.C.

Hi,

I am just worndering how much it would be per gram if I order 50 g from Englehard? Would it be it less than $10/g?

Also, is anyone out there who would be interested in combining the order from them? I would be interested in doing with some poeple.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi
    ----- P R O J E C T B A S H O -----
    Re-introducing Photography to Philadelphia
    Summer '11 Photography Workshops

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I can not remember exactly but it seems like the last time I bought 250 grams it was around $ 6.50-7.00 per gram. I do not think Englehard will do 50 grams.

Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ray,

Thank you very much for your information.

So, all I need is four more people who want to buy 50g of P. C. That would be $350/person or so. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If there is interest in a group purchase, it might make sense if to poll APug for any interest. The last time I did this two years ago, it was about $6.50/g. I think it has gone up quite a bit lately and is probably closer to $8-9/g. To get any reasonable savings, a purchase group would need to buy about 500g at least, if not a whole 1000g.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bidegain
    I can not remember exactly but it seems like the last time I bought 250 grams it was around $ 6.50-7.00 per gram. I do not think Englehard will do 50 grams.

Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, that means 9 more people who want to buy 50g. It will be $400/person or so. I would be still interested in a group purchase. PM me if anyone is interested.

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

Quote Originally Posted by clay
    If there is interest in a group purchase, it might make sense if to poll APug for any interest. The last time I did this two years ago, it was about $6.50/g. I think it has gone up quite a bit lately and is probably closer to $8-9/g. To get any reasonable savings, a purchase group would need to buy about 500g at least, if not a whole 1000g.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin