Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,481   Online: 954

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Temperature for Developing Solution

Onto the next challenge . . .

What's an appropriate temperature for the pt/pd developing solution. I believe that we used a solution of potassium oxylate at the workshop I attended. (My memory might be a bit rough on this.) I know we kept it fairly warm, compared to Dektol.

Also, what's a good way to keep the developer warm? I heard that some people use fish tank heaters. I checked these out, and they go up to about 92 degrees or so.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Temps

There is no "proper" temperature for the oxalate. I have cold tone developers that I use all the way down to 50 degrees. To make the oxalate warmer go to the thrift store and pick up a used coffee maker. Some people do like to keep the oxalate above 100 degrees. You have to experiment. Don't drink from the coffee maker!
    Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Effect on Color?

Does temperature have an effect on print color or appearance?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    warmer tone with a warmer developer.... at least in my limited experience (I printed the same test strip just this morning with room temp potassium ox and pot ox at 105degrees) the heated developer gave alot warmer tone.
    I bought one of those little electric hotplate warmers from the target down the street for about $12. well worth the money.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin