Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,443   Online: 867

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Chemicals needed for cyanotype and van dyke?

Hi!

I'm about to start with van dyke, and have done a few cyanotypes. Chemicals for these processes are not easily obtainable in Sweden, so I will order from Silverprint in the UK.

I'm familiar with the basic chemicals for cyanos and van dykes, but I would like some hints on what other chemicals I might need. When I'm ordering from the UK it's better to overbuy than underbuy.

For instance, when fixing van dykes, what do I use. "Plain hypo" must have a more "chemical" name?

Is it necessary to tone van dykes? What do I need for that?

Any comments and tips are most welcome!

Cheerio,
    *henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timeUnit
    For instance, when fixing van dykes, what do I use. "Plain hypo" must have a more "chemical" name?

Is it necessary to tone van dykes? What do I need for that?

Any comments and tips are most welcome!
    The "Plain hypo" is Sodium Thiosulfate, which makes it easier to find

Necssary to tone van dykes? Think you will get several thoughts on this, but from what I have read you need to tone in order to preserver the print for archival purposes. I prefer plt or pld toning, have not tried Gold yet. Did not really care for the look from selenium. Look here for more information on toning VanDkyes.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here's a recent APUG discussion on toning VDBs in selenium, gold, and sulfide toners.

In addition to sodium thiosulfate I'd recommend purchasing some gold chloride and thiourea for toning, and some citric acid to aid removing the iron salts. Others recommend using one of the EDTA salts (disodium EDTA, IIRC) for clearing as well.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not order a 'kit' from the Photographer's Formulary or other similar place? All the ingredients in one box and at the right quantities too. Just add water! Like instant noodles...

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    Why not order a 'kit' from the Photographer's Formulary or other similar place? All the ingredients in one box and at the right quantities too. Just add water! Like instant noodles...

Regards, Art.
    Because it gets expensive. I can't buy these things in Sweden, and shipping from the US or UK is not free. I need a couple of chemicals for making enlarged negs, so I might as well get some other things while I'm at it. As I understand it, many of these chemicals keep well.

Many of the chemicals are very common it seems in the "alternative" processes, so I'll need it sooner or later.

Thanks for the tips.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know about our Swedish friend, but I purchased bulk chemistry locally for my own VDB's.

I have enough chemicals to print for about 6-ish months if I print heavy and large, and at least a year if I print light and small.

Total cost was about $75 USD. I could have gotten it cheaper and/or in greater quantities if I'd done internet/mail order (which I will next time).
    Michael Slade

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Getting raw chemicals in the EU is very different from the USA.
    Even if Norway is not a EU member, I can get raw chemicals only because I'm registered as a "business" - without that, it's just about impossible. Additionally, since I'm outside the EU it gets difficult to get chemicals from the EU too, but that's not a problem for Henning

I know that Lotus in Austria, Moersch in Germany and Silverprint in the UK have the chemicals you need.

As mentioned, "Plain Hypo" is sodium thiosulfate (Natriumtiosulfat to you). And then you need potassium ferricyanide (AKA kaliumhexacyanoferrat (III)) and Ammonium ferricitrat (green) for cyanotypes, silver nitrate and tartaric acid (vinsyra, from the local supermarket) and another I can't remember for VDB.

Gold toning with Tetenal Gold Toner works well for VDB, Lipton's tea works well for cyanotype toning.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timeUnit
    Because it gets expensive. I can't buy these things in Sweden, and shipping from the US or UK is not free. I need a couple of chemicals for making enlarged negs, so I might as well get some other things while I'm at it. As I understand it, many of these chemicals keep well.

Many of the chemicals are very common it seems in the "alternative" processes, so I'll need it sooner or later.

Thanks for the tips.
    What film are you using for enlarged negs? Using Ortho films, you only need a dilute paper developer to do it with.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Could I also suggest trying http://www.retrophotographic.co.uk/ and David Jenkins (Rayco) +44 (0)1283 763768 for chemicals.

J
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try also www.fotospeed.com who sell kits of chemicals for some alt.processes
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin